A Warning from a Tree?

I ran. The woods around me were more of a green blur than anything. Occasionally I would hear a distant thud or roar, but there were more pressing matters at hand. Rather than stop to investigate, I chose life.

I didn't dare stop lest I wish to die and not dying tended to be a priority for me. Go figure.

The forest around me began to thin and the dead leaves underfoot began to morph into grass and flowers. The field before me was gorgeous with a solitary tree at its center and a creek slushing next to it. On the tree was a raven. This isn't a good sign. My family is rather superstitious and ravens usually indicate that there's the slightest bit of bad news lying ahead, usually someone dies -- but for now, I was safe. Chasing me from this side of the woods wouldn't end well for my pursuers.

As I slowed down I looked more closely at my surroundings. I knew this area better than anyone else, but yet...I didn't know where I was.

Walking closer to the tree in the middle, the raven flew away and I noticed that the tree was an aurea draco spirant -- a gold dragon's breathe.

I had heard the elders of the village speak of it many times saying that it only appears to those that have catastrophe ahead of them and that when near it, being killed is an impossibility. I've only seen this tree in books before and the pictures don't do it justice. The tree is massive and sturdy like an oak yet not like an oak at all. It's branches were long but at a point each one turned downward towards the earth so there was almost a curtain of branches. The leaves though were the most awesome part. They shone with a golden brilliance that I'd never seen before giving the tree a radiating aura.

A wind from behind me blew and swayed the branches that were more like vines than anything. The flowers rustled along with the wind and then it was silent. The most quiet I'd ever heard this near to the forest.

A rustle on the forest edge behind me forced my senses to their highest, ears straining to hear as I spun on my heel to face the forest.

Nothing.

Nothing was there. At least not that I could see. But I could feel it. I knew some was in there. Something powerful. Something ancient.

Another wind rustled the tree behind me and I felt a second presence not much unlike the first in that it was ancient except that this one felt protective. Genial and benevolent.

A tree fell in the woods.

"Tristan," a raspy yet flowing voice called from behind me, "run. I cannot protect you any longer. I can only send you back to your village."

"W-who-" I stammered.

"Agneous. I am the aurea draco spirant," spoke the same raspy voice. "The world, as the elders of your village foresaw eons ago, is at a tipping point between good and evil. I appeared before you to warn you of the coming dangers you'll face. Return your village. Tell the council of elders of what has transpired here. You must assemble a group and find the doyen. It is crucial to the defeat of it. Now go! I cannot hold it back any longer!"

The bushes behind me burst into black flames and the sky darkened. I watched the field of flowers be consumed by the dark flames and a shadow cloaked figure stalked forward from the forest.

The scene before me faded away and I was gone.