Chapter Twenty-Four

Author's Note:

TRIGGER WARNING!
This chapter may become unbearable for some readers. If the mention of rape/blood bothers you, please skip.

—-

Lyndsey's POV:

I couldn't find the words to speak. We sat there, on the floor, for what seemed like hours. She shook violently in my arms; tears staining my shirt. This made sense to me now... our strange connection. The worst day of her life; It finally clicked. We were brought together by fate; a horrible twist of fate. What really shook me though? What are the odds that this would be on the same day...?

"I'm sorry..." Was all I could muster. She dug her face into my neck. I could literally feel the pain she was going through.

I rested my head on hers, holding her back. The first year was the hardest because you live in this state of denial... then bam; hits you like a ton of bricks.

She shook me out of my thoughts as she pushed away from me; standing. I stood as well, unsure of what to do. I looked down at the stain on the floorboards. Memories of my own family were burning into my head. I looked up to see her staring at a picture on a side table. As she picked it up, I watched her eyes glaze over.

"She loved him, you know." She mumbled, running her fingers over the glass. I walked over to her, causing her to look up at me. The pain that was exposed struck a nerve with me. Had it been there all this time? Was I too wrapped up in myself to even notice this? "She fell in love with him and how did he repay her?" She laughed ironically, shaking her head. When I looked down at the picture, the air escaped my lungs. It felt
as if someone had kicked me square in the chest. I didn't think twice as I ripped the photo out of her hands roughly; my eyes refusing to remove away from the all too familiar man in the photo. My heart began to race as I looked at him. He was in California... he... I felt dizzy as my head began to swim. "Lyndsey...?" She called out with confusion. I looked up at her in horror.

"Valerie..." I whispered as I backed away from her. I instantly felt like I was going to be sick. I could see my vision starting to tunnel. The last thing I remember was Valerie catching me in her arms and holding me.

Water splashing on my face brought me back from my slumber. I sat up quickly, spitting out the water that had found its way into my mouth. "What the fuck?!" I cursed. My eyes falling to a frantic Valerie who held a now empty bottle of water.

"Why did you pass out?!" She yelled back. I shook my head as I pressed my back against the couch. I looked down at the picture, feeling guilt hit me. I pulled my legs close to my chest and dropped my head onto my knees. This was all my fault. If I would have somehow reported him... I felt her hand on my back. As I glanced up to her eyes, I could feel my stomach flip. This amazing woman... was hurting from the same fucking person that hurt me.

"I have to tell you something." I shivered as I spoke. I lifted my head to look at her. My chest felt like it was on fire as I could feel a tear slide down my face. Her eyes fell to the picture, troubled by what was bothering me.

"What...? What is it...?" Her voice was laced with concern. I averted my eyes, looking back to the picture myself.

"One night, I was sleeping over at Emalie's house. We were a newly found love, so... We spent many nights at one another's. I was only sixteen at the time so... You know... I wasn't all that caring of my family and only really focused on myself. Typical teenager attitude. Anyway..." I sighed, rubbing my thighs. "Well, my mother rang my phone that night. When I went to answer, the call died. I tried to phone back but, it wouldn't go through. Well, I thought she was angry with me..." More tears streamed down my face as I spoke.