Chapter Twenty-One

Author's  Note: 

Hey guys, please do me a favor and vote and comment! It helps me out a lot, good or bad or even if you have ideas. Thanks! Enjoy it.

Valerie's POV:

My eyes fluttered opened slowly as sunlight brightened the bedroom. I felt contentment; something I wasn't used to. I also felt the warmth of another body next to me. I looked down, seeing Lyndsey sprawled out on my bed; her arm wrapped tightly around my ribs as her head rested on my chest. I smiled, loving the feeling of her so close to me. My fingers dug through her beautiful locks, earning a small moan from the sleeping beauty next to me. I rested my head against the headboard, glancing at the clock. The joy I once had was sucked out of me the instant I noticed the date. I felt as if I was rear ended by a horse. It was officially a full year after my mother had passed away. Memories were overwhelming me quickly and I wasn't sure how to handle this.

"Do you have a minute. honey?" I looked up from my drafting table to see my mother standing in my doorway. I smiled, placing the pencil down.

"Of course. What's up?" I said as I watched her take a seat on my bed. She was playing with her necklace, worry etched on her brow. "Everything alright?" I asked, noticing that she was uneasy. She looked up at me with a sad smile on her face.

"It's just that. My baby girl is growing up so fast. I wish I could attend the show with your class today. But, my boss just won't allow me to." She had a teary look in her eyes that she obviously was fighting. I gave her a smile, walking over to her and taking a seat next to her, laying my head upon her shoulder. She wrapped her arm around me, laying her head on mine. "Soon you'll be graduating... I just wish I could be there for something so important to you. I hope you know this. I really wanted to go."

"I wish you could come too. You should just quit." She laughed along with me.

"I wish it was that easy. If only bills weren't a real thing." She sighed, letting go of me and standing. "Well, I guess I should get ready for work." She added, heading for the exit. I walked back to my drafting table. "I'm so proud of you." Her voice rang through me. I looked over to the door to see her smiling at me. "I love you, Honey, Have a great trip to Los Angeles. I'll see you when you get home later tonight, okay?"

"Okay, I love you."

I felt a tear slowly run down my cheek as the last memory of my mother faded. That was the last time I saw her alive. The last time I heard her voice. I grit my teeth as anger ran through my veins. But, my emotions disappeared as I felt Lyndsey twitch in her sleep. I wiped my eyes, looking down at the beautiful girl before me. Her eyes were open slightly as she looked up at me. "Good morning."

"Good morning..." She yawned, her accent somewhat heavy. "What's the matter?" She asked, pulling away from me to roll onto her back. I frowned as I lost the warmth of her body.

"Nothing, how'd you sleep?" I countered, hoping that she would take the hint. I watched as she looked over to me with a knowing look. Thankfully, she let it go though as she stretched.

"Good I suppose." She groaned out, stretching her arms above her head. As she did, her shirt went over her stomach, exposing the skin to me. I felt myself blush stupidly, turning my head away. "Fuck..."

"What...?" I asked, now confused. I looked back to her to see that was looking at the clock.

"It's six. I should uh... leave your room..." She frowned, sitting up.