Chapter Twenty-Three

Valerie's POV:

"So..." Lyndsey's voice was cautious for some reason. "We have been driving for over an hour now. And, I've been quite for most of the ride. But I feel... I need to ask. Why are we going to your mothers? And at this hour?" She asked finally. I was impressed that she had waited so long to ask that. With a sigh, I continued with my eyes focused on the road.

"It's more complicated than that, I'm afraid." Was all I could muster and I could see out of the corner of my eye, that she was looking at me. Her eyes on me were making my palms sweaty. Despite my current mood, the tension between us was still haunting me. "Thank you, by the way." I smiled towards her, trying my best to lift my spirits. She eyed me suspiciously before smiling in return.

"You don't have to thank me. By the way, Emalie wasn't buying into the story Randy gave them." She claimed, looking down at her phone.

"What did he tell them?" I wondered aloud. Lyndsey clicked her tongue on the roof of her mouth as she leaned back against the chair. I bit my lip as I found myself looking at her once again.

"Apparently," She laughed, her accent shining through, "He told them that we eloped together. To Las Vegas." She chuckled, scrolling through her messages as she read. I rolled my eyes, ignoring the butterflies in my stomach. I could feel my face betray me, turning a bright shade of red most likely. Thankfully though, it was so dark now that she must not have noticed. "Emalie didn't believe me, obviously. So, what do you want me to tell her?"

"Well...." I breathed out, my knuckles turning white as I gripped the wheel harder, "You could always just go along with what he said." My eyes remained on the road but my stomach was doing flips as I noticed that she was looking towards me now. I swallowed the lump that was growing in the back of my throat. "You know, as a joke. Just go along with his joke. I'm sure she'd find it hilarious."

"Oh? You think marrying me would be a joke?" Though her words sounded bad, her voice sounded sarcastic. I looked over at her for a moment, noticing a sly grin on her lips. I clicked my tongue on the side of my teeth at her.

"I don't think it would be a joke." I countered.

"Oh really? So, you want to elope with me, Val?" Once again, her voice was laced with a different kind of emotion. "I'm sure Ana wouldn't be so happy about that." I frowned at the last statement.

"Well... something tells me she'd move on." I said, unsure of my feelings at this point. Here I was... in the car with Lyndsey... but... thinking of Ana... how close we have been these past few weeks. It just wasn't the same though. When I compared Ana and Lyndsey... it just didn't seem right to me. Lyndsey... she was always the one my mind was racing to.

"Yeah, probably with Emalie, no doubt about that..." Lyndsey whispered. I arched a brow at that, looking at her for a moment before focusing back on the road.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused now.

"Randy thinks, and myself, that Ana and Emalie like one another now." She said, shrugging her shoulders. "I think that would be interesting. And honestly... I'd feel relief for Emalie." She admitted.

"What do you mean? When did you even talk to Randy about this? Why would you feel relief?" I asked quickly. Lyndsey shifted slightly in her seat as she leaned her head upon her headrest.

"After he kept crashing earlier and he sat down next to me." 'Ohhhh...' I thought to myself, connecting the dots, "And I would feel relief because I can't return the feelings she has for me. Yeah... I love her dearly. But only as a friend." I clenched my jaw at her confession. "I haven't told her that yet... but I was hoping that if she fell for Ana that she would forget about me. I'm horrible for her and I just want her to be happy. I'll always be there for her, but I'm damaged..." She laughed ironically now, "Sorry, I'm not sure why I dumped that on you like that." She sighed, running a hand through her dark locks.