Chapter 18

Violet

My heart is nearly about to burst from how embarrassed and confused I feel right now. Harry's dumbfounded and waiting for me to say something but nothing is quite coming out.

How do I tell my roommate's best friend that a man I claimed to find obnoxious was just caught kissing me like it's the most normal thing in the world? It's not like we're in a relationship but I do have to explain it to Harry and beg him not to say a word. For my sake and Liam's.

Mr. Payne looks highly skeptical as his jaw tightens. But of course we would be doing this while the whole world could see what we've been trying to avoid. It isn't fair that I lose every train of thought when he's this near me. It makes me mad that just with the way he looks at me, he makes me feel wanted. His words, his stare, I hate this hot bastard who does things to me I don't want to feel yet can't help but to.

"I know this looks, weird. Trust me Harry, I don't know either." I shake my head frantically.

"I thought you didn't like this man. Hello by the way." He awkwardly greets Liam, who currently looks down and has his hand over his mouth. "You always spoke so low of him." Harry averts his attention back to me.

Liam's eyebrows jump in irony.

"Harry, I know. I don't know how it happened or why, but you cannot tell a soul about what you just saw." I can't stress enough how much he needs to not say anything. "Especially Alexis. She thinks I don't like him and well I don't—I mean, I do sort of but not in that way." Now I'm just rambling and babbling things that are not making sense.

Liam's gaze is dead on me, offended over what I'm saying but what else am I supposed to say? This was his idea. To keep us a secret and diffuse any rumors of us having a thing.

"But you guys were kissing. I don't understand, if you don't want anyone to know, why kiss for people to see?" He's right. I know this and Liam knows this. The answer to that is simple, because he's someone who has found his way to dig deep into my skin and as much as I didn't think I wanted this, I couldn't help it. But It's not too late to tell Mr. Payne that this adventure has to end, before it really gets out of hand. Maybe this is our sign.

I stay quiet and shrug, looking defeated by this situation. A wide eyed Harry still waiting for an explanation that makes sense.

"Harry, I know you and I don't know each other that well and I know you being really close to Alexis doesn't mean you can do me this favor," I stop for a short moment to emphasize every word, "but if there's anything I have ever begged for in my life is for you to just forget what you saw." My pleas must seem desperate and pathetic, but it's not like Mr. Payne is making any effort to clear this situation out. This is the consequence that came with being around a man who has me enticed and then wanting to scream at him for not even trying to defend his honor.

Harry keeps his mouth pressed into a hard line as if thinking this really through. His hands go to rest on his hips and he lets out a loud sigh. I think he's come to a conclusion. "You're right Violet. I'm in no position to tell you or tell anyone about this. But hiding it from Alexis? I don't know if I can. He's the same man she swoons over and won't shut up about. No offense," he points over to Liam.

Mr. Payne simply nods his head and looks my way. He closes his eyes, his hand still over his mouth. I can detect the dread etched on his expression. With one intensifying look suddenly thrown at me without a warning, the message is clear that he's blaming this on me.

Oh no fucking way, this is not my fault. How does that begin to make sense?

I ignore his blatant glare at me, going over to Harry and embracing him in a thankful hug for being this kind. I now know that whatever Liam and I have has to end, soon. This will cause too much trouble, it's already doing just that.