Chapter 62

Violet

It has been at least a full minute of silence since Liam's confession and no one is really saying anything. My eyes try quickly glance at everyone's expressions but it's all so blurry because all I can think about is how Liam just told everyone I am his girlfriend in the most sweetest way ever.

"That is," Liam's father breaks the silence, "that is damn bloody amazing." He snorts a laugh and goes up to hug his son. "Liam is that true? Violet's your girlfriend now?"

"It is!" Riley beams.

"She is, dad. I love her." Liam confirms his dad's curiosity. His grip on my hand tightens as I try to hide behind his body, my mind still trying to process everything. "Mum," he motions over to Claire.

Her lips are slightly parted as if she can't believe what just came out of Liam's mouth. She is shocked to say the least, and very well speechless. "I see," she clears her throat, rubbing her hands up and down her black dress, "excuse me!" She says and struts away from the area.

That's not the reaction I was hoping for. Actually it went a lot more different than I thought it would. I expected Mrs. Payne to react in a much more dramatic way, but that's not the case. Instead she ran off, leaving the rest of us behind.

Even Scarlett who still holds the gifts in her arms, looking back and forth between all of us.

"You're still here." Liam murmurs to her, staring at the ground beneath him.

"Right, sorry. I didn't mean to cause this." She nervously says. Scarlett then averts her attention to Liam's dad. He seems to be a bit lost but snaps right back when that woman calls him. "Mr. Payne, these gifts are from my family to yours."

"Thanks." He mumbles dryly to her, taking the gifts from her arms before he steps back and there's an awkward silence amongst us.

"Right, I'll get going." Scarlett says. "Merry Christmas to you all!" She waves with both of her hands, her head turning slightly towards Liam for a moment. She blinks a few times at him, then at our linked hands. I can't tell what she's thinking but it can't be positive.

Instinctively I hold his hand tighter and gaze at her with focused eyes. If I didn't know any better I'd say she seems jealous. I sort of want to rub this in her face, because she chose a stupid impulse over this amazing man who would've given her the world. Liam was ready to put it all at her feet just to make her happy.

"Goodnight." She feigns a tight smile, walking back towards the steps until my view is obstructed by the giant iron rod doors.

The moment the door shuts completely I let go of a breath I was holding. My body shudders out of reaction and Liam turns to me. His features have fallen, nothing left of that playful Liam that was in the room sitting me on his lap. He looks pissed.

"I can't believe she had the nerve to show up here!" Riley rambles, flipping her hair to the side. She then leaves back to the living room, leaving me and a not so happy Liam alone. The entire atmosphere has shifted, and I do not like it.

"You okay?" I ask, reaching up to touch his face in hopes of lightening the mood.

Eventually Liam gives, sighing as he takes my hand and places soft kisses on my skin. "Yeah. I just wasn't expecting that."

"Me either." I shrug. "We should continue no?" I motion over to the room where everyone else is in.

"Yeah," he agrees, "I'm sorry for the way my mum reacted."

"It's okay!" I assure him. Is it though? I didn't want to comment on it but it's the elephant in the room. In some way I was hoping his mother would be overjoyed with the fact that her son is in love again but instead she just ran off. Like it's the worst news she's ever gotten.