Chapter 96

Liam

"Fuck," I grunt under my breath.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Coincidences are one thing but this is a whole new level. What the fuck is Malik doing here? Why out of every god damn restaurant in Chicago does he have to come to this specific one? For fuck's sake. He's already spotted us, he saw her hand on mine, me attempting to leave would give him a bigger motive to think I'm cheating. Wouldn't he have the biggest field day.

"What's wrong?" Scarlett notices I'm as transparent as a ghost.

Before I can answer her question, I catch Malik from the corner of my eye excusing himself from his table, making his way over to us with a stern look flitted across his scruffy face. He's a fucking prick, but at this very instance, he's got the upper hand. Whatever I say or do won't mean much because any chance he gets, he will tell Violet about this. It would be his greatest pleasure.

"Payne," he acknowledges. "You look like you've seen the dead."

"Nah mate, the dead aren't quite as pestering as living, breathing humans." I caustically remark and he smirks like he's finding this all too gratifying.

"Well, to me it looks like you've been caught in something you perhaps shouldn't be doing?" He folds his arms across his chest, hoisting his chin up high. What does he think he is? Violet's hero or something? He's out of his fucking mind. I bet he's already anticipating to run off and tell her about this fucking fiasco. Is Malik not tired of playing this game knowing good and well he will never be able to have anything more with Violet other than her being his student? I wonder what his girlfriend would think about it. I'm sure she'd feel just dandy.

"Of course not, mate. I have nothing to hide. Unlike some of us." I murmur, referring to his pathetic interest in my girlfriend. Zayn is on the defense instantly, jaw clenching and eyes narrowing. In reality I have everything to hide. He's got me right where he wants me. He better keep his mouth shut if he knows what's good for him.

"You talking about me?" He snorts, momentarily looking at the ground and then back up at me. He's so smug and he's not even trying to hide it.

"Let's ask your girlfriend, shall we?" I suggest and he's pressing his hand on my chest to keep me from remotely moving a step.

"Don't," he warns and slightly pushes me back.

By now there's an actual scene being made and all eyes are on us. I catch Malik's worried girlfriend scoot back from her seat and walk toward our direction. She's lost, she's got no clue why this is even happening but if Zayn wants to play this game, then he's met his match.

"What's going? Liam Payne?" She recognizes me, throwing her off a lot more.

"Yeah Malik, what is going on? You going to tell her or should I?" I antagonize him further which only pisses him off entirely.

"Kat, stay out of this." He says and she's hurt by his response to her. "I swear to god, Payne..."

"Or what, mate?" I wave my head to show I'm not fucking around at all. It's not like I haven't wanted to bash his face in for so long now. Maybe then he'll learn to back the fuck off.

"She doesn't deserve this. I always knew you were a piece of shit, but to cheat on her? You're worse than I fucking thought!" He snarls.