Chapter 93

Violet

"Crap," I grumble under my breath as I struggle to open the loaf of bread sitting on the kitchen counter. I've practiced this routinely ever since I came home from the hospital, it should not be this difficult to try and make a sandwich. Liam and Cynthia have insisted endlessly that if I needed anything, they would take care of it. Including the preparation of my food. But that's abuse of power. A good portion of my right arm is still good to make use of, I might as well take advantage of it. Dr. Grimm said I could, even if Liam doesn't agree with it. And while I may not be completely healed yet, the last thing I want to feel like is useless. I hate the thought of becoming a burden because I'm incapable of doing much on my own for now. If it meant making myself a sandwich, I would feel more than accomplished. "Work with me please." I find myself beg the inanimate object.

The bag slips and slides around the surface of the counter. The limited amount of mobility in both my arms is annoying. Maybe it's the side effects of the meds Dr. Grimm prescribed to keep the pain at bay, but being unable to do such a simple task has me on the verge of tears. Why the hell am I emotional over this? I'm starving, and all I want is a sandwich. I am positive Cynthia would be delighted to prepare it for me but she's resting in her bedroom and I'm not going to bother her just for this.

Liam decided to go to work today. He's already taken off too many days to be at home with me, making sure that I'm not in need of anything. He's been very attentive, immensely patient, scolding me every chance he gets because I just can't sit my ass still. He almost didn't go today either, but he can't put everything on hold as much as he would like to. Without the captain of the ship, the ship can't navigate properly. While I would love to be selfish and have his attention devoted to me, he's got a job to do.

Somehow I maneuver around the kitchen and not only pick out two pieces of bread, but I wind up with a jar of pickles joining the rest of the items sitting on top of the counter. Okay, not bad for the girl with broken collarbones. A poorly made sandwich is created, presentation is a bit rough but I am positive the taste will be more appealing. Just as I am to bite into it, my new phone starts to buzz, and Liam's name is flitted across the screen.

It's a FaceTime call. I eagerly swipe to the right and prop the phone on a perfect angle for him to get a direct view of me. He's in his office when the call connects, hands pressed up on either side of his cheeks with his pouty lips pursed, bemused. "Hey, baby."

"Hello." I softly mumble. "How's work?"

His expression is very telling.

He sighs, shrugging. "It's pretty, shitty. I'd rather be at home. Taking care of you. I miss you."

"So do I." My mouth slants to the side.

Just the thought of being in his arms again is so satisfying. There's no better place. "What do you got there, love?" He refers to the mountain I've created for a sandwich that peeks in the corner of the camera.

"A sandwich." I proudly say.

"Ace. Did Cynthia make it for you?" He asks, fidgeting around on his seat. He fixes his tie, messes with his cuff links as I try to come up with an answer.

Guilt slowly nibbles at me. I could lie and say she did, but that takes away the credit I've earned for myself. I did something on my own, even if it was just a mere sandwich. "No, I did."