Chapter 3

Violet

During the next half hour of class, all I can think about is how handsome my professor is. Yeah, I'm not supposed to have any distractions, but I am a girl who finds men attractive. One of them just so happens to be my instructor.

He's going on about the courses for this semester and the certain topics we'll be covering from here to the end. I don't think I've ever engaged this much into a class session, but apparently I am not the only one. Looking to my left and to my right, I see that Professor Malik makes more than a handful of people smitten.

"The first assignment I want you guys to do is to free write. I want to see how creative you guys are. I know some of the work you upperclassmen hold but knowing most of you, some of your creative juices must've been washed away from the parties this summer, right?" The class noise erupts into a fit of laughter and nods.

His smile reaches up to his eyes, crinkling at the sides. It's really pretty. Kind of like mister rich guy, although he's a different story.

Unlike him though, Professor Malik gives off good vibes. And he's funny too.

"This teacher seems really cool" I lean to whisper at Louis. I should've just sat next to him instead of having an empty seat in between us. I'll remember to do that tomorrow.

He turns his head to me, grinning, "he's pretty cool. One of my favorites." He whispers back.

Throughout the rest of the first day's lecture, he writes a prompt up on his giant board, giving a random student the task to write him a paragraph about it and make it as interesting as possible.

How he hasn't caught me staring at him is beyond me. I shouldn't stare like this, but I am.

He hands out the class syllabus and I flush when he passes by me. I think Louis noticed; he kept glancing at how fondly I stared at Professor Malik.

"Alright, that concludes today's lecture. See you guys tomorrow." He dismisses the class with a clap of his hands.

The embodiment of students waste no time in rushing out the doors, dying to get out of here as soon as possible. My next class isn't for another half hour, and thankfully I'm only taking this class and two others just for this semester. The added stress would not be necessary.

It works well with my schedule over at Connor's, especially when I have late shifts, like tonight's starting at five o'clock through eleven. It's going to be dreadful but if I don't make the money, neither would my mother.

As I take my time to put my things away in my bag, I notice how almost the entire class is empty. Professor Malik is still on his laptop from the corner of my eye, just for a split second. In that split second, I also noticed how his eyes move across the illuminated screen. So attentive and concentrated.

The moment my feet stop moving as I start making my way out, he clears his throat, startling me. "Um Miss Piers? Is it?" Oh no, what did I do? He caught me looking at him, he so did.

Reluctantly, I turn slowly, grinning nervously towards the teacher whose gaze is centered in on me. "Yes?"

His face is serious. Maybe he did see me staring and is going to call me out about it and tell me to stop it. At least he didn't do it in front of the class. "I'm sorry for interrupting you, but I couldn't help but notice that your name is Violet Piers. You wouldn't perhaps be the Violet Piers who won the short story contest in the state wide challenge perhaps?"

Oh thank goodness. I wasn't expecting that one, but I sigh of relief, nodding to his curiosity. "Sure am," I murmur.

His face brightens. "I really enjoyed it. It was really good Miss Piers. Glad to have a fresh and new superstar in my class. I will enjoy further reading into your stuff during this semester."