"Hey ma'am Robinson for two," Austin said to the man up front wearing midnight blue slacks and a white dress shirt. He looked down at the podium where an iPad was sitting and nodded.

"Alright- Sorry Good evening sirs, your table is ready," he said grabbing two golden menus and then walked to the middle of the dining area with us trailing slowly behind him. When we walked to one of the tables the host stopped and placed the menus on opposite sides of the table covered with a tablecloth that had intricate designs.

"Your waiter will be here momentarily," he said before walking away. Not even three seconds later Austin was holding a seat out for me which I took. Austin took his place then looked at me with a smile.

"How was your week, and before you make a face I know you hate small talk, but you can't start a nice conversation without it," Austin said with a smile on his face.

"It was fine," I said to him.

"Come on a little more description," he said while removing his utensils that were wrapped tightly in a cream-colored cloth napkin which he unfurled and placed it over his lap.

"Ummm I was allowed back into the operating room for the first time since my accident. Not doing anything important just talking a junior through the steps with Dr. Haynes," I said.

"How is it in the operating room, I doubt it's like all the tv shows make it out to seem," He asked me with a look of genuine interest on his face that was being nicely complimented by the candle that provided a dull glow from where it was placed on the table.

"No it's not like the tv, it's less dramatic we don't have viewing galleries where surgeons watch like it's a game show. It's more technical, competitive. It can be a bunch of science nerds having a pissing competition at times but I love it," I said to him honestly.

"Sounds like the firehouse except with less money," he responded to me.

"How do you like being a fireman," I asked him which surprised me I wasn't one for prolonging a conversation. I was often seen as a man of few words that liked to get to the point.

"It's a job...I've made some good friends from it, and it keeps the law school debt to a minimum," he said just as the waiter came up to ask for our drinks we both ended up ordering some peach drink which was their specialty.

"You're in law school, what for," I asked him.

"Yeah I am, see the things you could learn from small talk. Anyway, this is my last semester before I graduate then take the state bar exam, I'm going to be specializing in family law. I know it sounds backward, but I'd love to focus on divorce law because I know what it feels like to live with people who need to be divorced," he said to me, and I nodded.

'Good looking, smart, ambitious. Why is he wasting his time with me?'

"Sounds cool," I said to him, and he went deeper into the conversation.

"So it's just you and your sister correct," he asked me while his hands clamped together on the tabletop.

"No, my brother Jojo also makes up my family, how about you," I asked him.

"My family is a whole tribe, there are eight of us," he said to me.

As dinner progressed we dived deeper into the conversation, both of learning more about one another. I learned that his mother had passed away two years ago from a sudden heart attack which made Austin slightly emotional. His father was emotionally distant with most of his children. He didn't spend too much time talking about his dad other than that he was once a football player but changed into farming when he got injured as a rookie for some team in Florida. Somehow he got me to speak about my experience as a foster child. I told him about the first three homes I could remember and before I knew it dinner was over and we were walking out the front door. I found myself disappointed that it was over.

"Don't forget to tell your brother that I paid," he said to me with a smile as we stood in front of my car.

"What," I asked in confusion.

"He found my Instagram and Dm'd me," he chuckled.

"Oh my God, " I said hiding my face due to the embarrassment of his chuckle turned into laughter. I figured he asked me about my brother to continue to the conversation we were having earlier.

"It's not a big deal your brother was just looking out to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. It's more than my brothers would ever do for me. Anyway, I have to get some sleep a long day tomorrow. Call me when you get back home, so I know that you're safe," he said and looked at me waiting for a response. I nodded at him blushing under his gaze

"Alright then goodnight," he said then leaned in and kissed me on the cheek. It felt like a million butterflies were flying around in my stomach. He pulled back and smiled before stepping back a little bit waiting for me to climb in my car and pull off. I couldn't stop smiling as I made my way back home.

🌙🌙 THANKS FOR READING🌙🌙