Girl Meets Money pt. 1

Rachel's P.O.V.

"Hey! A dollar! They're finally paying us to come here. Dopes. I'd come here for nothing. You know why? I have to. Stupid law." Maya says.

"Wait, everybody has one." I say looking around the room.

"So, what do you got there?" Mr. Matthews says, walking into the room.

"It's a trap. Everybody just give your dollars to me, and I'll hold them is what I'll do. Yeah." Maya says with an evil look on her face.

"The United States government says that these pieces of paper are worth something. What makes them valuable? Farkle, do it." Mr. Matthews commands.

"Paper money used to be certificates that you could exchange for their equal value in gold or silver. Before that, people would buy things with livestock, colored stones, or shiny objects." Farkle says.

"I like shiny objects." Riley says looking up from her hands.

"Which one of these shirts is better? Same size, same color, same shirt. One of these comes from Cheapo's and costs $12.99, the other one comes from Demolition and costs 36 bucks. So, which one's the better shirt? Riley?" Mr. Matthews asks.

"Watch my little fashionista go." Maya says proudly.

"The Bleh shirt on the left, though appearing to the untrained eye to look the same..." Riley starts but Mr. Matthews interrupts. "It's the same shirt."

"...is not from Demolition, making it inferior." She continues. "Same shirt." Mr. Matthews interrupts again.

"I will take the Demolition Bleh." Riley concludes.

(Chuckles)"You already did," Mr. Matthews chuckles, "This is your shirt. You spent 36 Washingtons on it."

"It costs more, so it's better." Riley says.

(Chuckles) "Same exact shirt from the same exact manufacturer that sends it to a million different stores all over the world." Mr. Matthews says.

"Mine's better. It feels good on my face." Riley says, rubbing it on her face.

"This is your shirt. I changed the labels this morning." Mr. Matthews tells her.

"This shirt hurts my face! Give me that one. Mm. I know my shirt anywhere." Riley pauses, "That's my Demolition shirt, isn't it?"

"Why would I change the labels when I can just talk? Obviously you people will believe anything."

"Mr. Matthews, are you teaching us that money has no real value?"

"I'm teaching you that money is paper we put our faith in. Wars are fought over it. Most crime happens because money's involved."

"I'm safe." Maya says.

"I'm teaching you that the value given to money is a lot less important than how it's used. That's what matters. That's what shapes who you are. Don't be mislead by trendy brands and shiny objects."

"So, what should we do with our money?" Farkle asks.

"Buy food." Lucas says.

"Have shelter." I say.

"Do charity." Riley says, handing over a 'Bleh' T-Shirt.

Maya gasps, "Riles, you gave me the Demolition one."

"Mm-hmm. Charity with a full heart. Also, I made a mistake." Riley says.

"What about doing business? My father is the Minkus of Minkus International." Farkle asks.

"Yeah, he's been in the news a lot recently." Mrs. Matthews says.

"I hear he's risking a lot of his company on a new technology." Lucas says, turning to Farkle.

"It's something he really believes in, but he doesn't know if it's gonna work yet." Farkle says.

"When will he find out?" I ask.

"Not sure." Farkle answers, "When he does this kind of stuff, he's... not around the house very much."

"Farkle, how come you never have us over to your house?" Lucas asks.

"I've already told you." Farkle says.

"No, you say you're embarrassed by it, but how big could it possibly be?" Maya asks.

"I don't know. I haven't seen it all."  Farkle says with a small laugh.

"Farkle, we couldn't love you less just because you have more than us." I say.

"Not anymore."

"Minkus."

"Hi, Cory. Is it okay if I speak to Farkle about a minor issue?" Mr. Minkus cries.

"Uh, Minkus, is this one of those where we go out in the hall and talk?" Mr. Matthews asks. Minkus nods and they leave the room.

--------------Later that day at Topanga's-------------------

"Okay, I was able to find $24 in all of my piggy banks and drawers."  Riley says.

"I sold a couple of baseball bats online. I got $58 to kick in." Lucas says, giving Riley the money.

Thank you, Lucas. All right, so... Between the two of us, we can give Farkle $82. Maya? Rachel?" Riley asks.

"Between the three of us, we can give Farkle $100." I say, giving the money to Riley.

"Between the four of us, we can give Farkle $100. Good job, guys!" Maya says.

"Hi, guys." Farkle walks in.

"Hi, Farkle. We wanted to give you something. $100." I say, while Riley gives him the money.

"Thanks, but I think it's Maya who can help me out best." Farkle says.

"How?" Maya asks.

"I want you to give me lessons on how to be poor."  Farkle says bluntly.

"Done. $82 a lesson." Farkle gives Maya the money. "Lesson one complete."

"You have less than we do, Maya, but you live a really good life. You don't just survive in this world. You thrive. That's what I've always loved about you." Farkle says to Maya.

"Thanks, Farkle. Not much to tell you except... you see these clothes I wear?' Maya asks.

"Yeah." Farkle says.

"Shawn bought them for me, and I take care of them and I appreciate them. I don't have much, but I try to appreciate what I do have" Maya says.

"That's really good advice, Maya. I mean, I have so much. I don't really appreciate any of it. Now, it's gonna be gone." Farkle says.

"Well... Let's go to your house while you still have it." Riley says.

"My house?" Farkle asks.

"Yeah. Farkle, you've been to most of our houses. We haven't been to yours." I say.

"I don't think that's a good idea." Farkle says.

"Farkle, we get it. You were rich. You have a nice room." Lucas says. 

"Well, I just want to hang out with you guys at your places." Farkle says.

"Why?" I ask.

"I don't know. I like your places." Farkle says.

"We're going. Your room can't change how we feel about you." Maya says.