One

June 2001. Australia

     "Macey!" Calum called to the little brown haired girl hiding behind the tree in her mommy's backyard. The pair were playing hide and seek. Macey and Calum were both five years old.

     "Macey! Where are you?" Calum peeked his head around the trunk of the tree to where the young child sat.

     "Gotcha!" He cried. She yelped and covered her face wither tiny hands. Her older sister, Blakely painted her nails for her as she liked. Calum plopped down onto the sot green grass in front of Macey. She peeked through her fingers and looked at the chubby tan boy sitting in front of her. Smiling she stuck her tongue out at her best friend who did the same to her.

     "Cally, you always win." She said frowning and crossing her arms.

     "Its not my fault you always loose, Mace." Calum says, mirroring her body language. Macey shakes her head, her wavy hair falling in front of her eyes. Calum scoots himself over next to her and pokes her side with his small pointer finger.

     "Cally your gross." Macey says, poking him back.

     "No! Your gross." He retorts.

     "You know what my mommy said when she was talking to your's?" Macey changed topics quickly due to the fact she was five years old. Calum shook his head.

     "She said that we will probably get married one day." Calum made a face at Macey's statement.

      "I told them it was yucky." Macey said nodding her head at Calum.

     "Yeah, your gross I would never marry you." Calum said. Macey glared at him.

     "Cally your mean to me. Why don't you love me! We are best friends!" Macey wailed. Tears spurting from her chocolate brown eyes. Calum tried to comfort her. He shook her hands away from her eyes.

     "I'm sorry Mace! I'll always love you!" Calum said quickly.

     "Really?" Macey said, looking at him and wiping away her tears. Calum nodded and stuck his pinky out towards her.

     "Promise." He said, smiling. She wrapped her own pinky around his. He suddenly leaned forward and pressed his little lips against hers. Instantly she shoved him away.

     "Ew! Cally cooties!" She screamed running away from him. Calum got up and trailed after her. She was laughing. Her pink sundress flying in the breeze as she ran to the deck behind her house. Her older sister Blakely and Calum's older sister Mali were playing with Barbie dolls on the wooden deck.

     "Calum kissed me! Calum kissed me!" Macey chanted as she ran into the house. Calum running full speed behind her. Macey skipped into the cool kitchen and hopped into her mother's lap. Calum and Macey's mothers had been friends since college.

     "Mommy! Aunty Joy! Cally kissed me!" Macey beamed to her mother and her 'aunty Joy'. Calum came into the doorway and stood behind his mommy. She turned and pulled him up onto her lap.

     "Did you Calum?" She asked, smiling playfully down at her son. Calum's blushing cheeks were evident through his tan skin. He nodded slowly. Macey smiled across the table at him. He buried his face into his mom's long dark hair. Macey giggled.

     "I told you June, they would fall in love." Calum's mom shook her head and looked down at Calum. Macey's mom smoothed Macey's hair and chuckled.

     "Joy they will." She smiled and sipped her lemonade.

     "Oh! We already love each other, "Macey stated proudly. Calum looked up at her, "And we always will." Macey continued. She and Calum exchange smiles.