Encounters with the Enemy

Revali enjoyed patrolling the night sky. Vah Medoh was the most comforting shadow on the ground. With the moon in the sky and the stars twinkling bright, he was brought only a small amount of comfort. Usually, he would glide to his heart's content until his shift was over. Tonight, the world around him felt off.

      Ever since the morning, the world felt a little different. Even Medoh was acting strange, as if he could sense the foreboding feeling as well. The bright, sunny day had been nice and the shooting range was free for the taking. He even had a spare moment to read and visit with a few comrades. Still the feeling did not fade. Even now, the feeling seemed to grow stronger.

      He perched himself in a nearby tree. His eyes scanned for any sign of movement. The night was too quiet for him. There was no blood moon and there were no wolves baying. The area lacked the hoots of owls and the chirps of crickets. The world around him knew there was something wrong as well. He felt incredibly tense.

      All too suddenly, there was baying from a pack of wolves, a loud branch cracking and a piercing scream. He took off in the direction and looked for the source of the noise. A woman had screamed, some traveler maybe. But she was in trouble for sure.

"LET GO OF ME!"

      He suddenly spotted the source of commotion. It was Arlett! She was surrounded by three Yiga. A fourth one was in the middle of the trail was left behind in a puddle, of what could be assumed as blood. She was hunched over as two of them held her still, the third watching over. The familiar royal broadsword laid on the ground.

"Arlett!"

      He took a quick glance at his village. Torches were being lit. He had not been the only one to hear the scream. They were expecting a large attack. His attention was on the princess again. She dropped her weight and kicked one off his feet. She dodged the blow of the two as she retrieved her sword. She picked it up and sliced one in the abdomen as she ran by, heading toward the ravine where she could glide down and hide.

      The rito pulled out his falcon bow and fired at the two. He missed one, but the other went down. As he reloaded, he saw all too late that the remaining warrior had a bow and arrow loaded and fired at his target, Arlett.

      He forced his gaze away as she fell over the edge and took down the remaining Yiga. Once he was sure the warrior was a pin cushion, he flew over to look for the body of the princess. There was still hope she had survived, right?

"Arlett?"

"Revali! Here!"

      Relief crashed over him when he saw the girl. She had held fast to her weapon and stabbed it into the side of the wall. It had, by some miracle, found a hole and lodged in place to keep her from hitting the rocky bottom. He flew over, grabbing her out stretched arm with his talons knowing that the sword might not be so secure. He flew out and as gently as possible, dropped her a safe distance from the side. When he came back down, he felt his stomach turn to lead.

      She was on her side, attempting to get up. The arrow, protruding from shoulder blade, left a growing strain. He landed and knelt down. A few warriors were coming in from above.

"Arlett, are you alright?" He knew it was a stupid question, but he needed to hear her voice.

Her voice was choked, "Have them get Zoli. She's learned from me. She knows how to handle this."

      Her hand was gripping her shoulder, not the arrow. She was a healer and she was now the patient. She knew what she needed to do, and what not to do. Tears streaked down her face from the intense pain.