Chapter Nine - Part Two

The howl of the engines changed pitch and the landing craft lurched into motion. After a brief period of crushing acceleration, the vehicle went through a series of wild maneuvers, leaving him breathing at the top of his lungs and fighting nausea. His only reassurance came from the slack, disinterested faces of the guards around him. Gerasim gave him a grin and a wink from across the cabin, which helped a bit.

The crisp voice of the pilot spoke in his ear, "Prepare for surface pressure equalization. It'll be rough going down."

"Everybody cover up," Demyan said, his tone curt and professional. All around, suits shifted to cover faces, leaving a transparent space for the eyes. Khariton had practiced this, and adjusted his own suit without assistance. The landing craft began to shake, hesitantly at first, then with increasing violence. Khariton seized his harness with both hands and held on with all his suit-enhanced strength as the vehicle tore its way through the outer atmosphere. A small voice in the back of his head mocked him for his pointless gesture, and he wondered at his complete inability to loosen his grip in spite of that knowledge.

As the violence subsided, so did his apprehension. Another curt announcement from the pilot: leveling off. Even before he finished speaking, Khariton's insides sank towards the floor of the craft. The skin on his face stretched down as he struggled to suck air into his lungs. Grey static crept in from the edge of his vision, but his suit had detected the excessive G forces and squeezed down on his lower extremities. The pressure eased off, and he took deep breaths, trying to reach the knot of terror at the pit of his stomach.

"Ten seconds," the pilot said.

The guards took hold of their weapons. Demyan said, "As soon as we hit dirt, I want the perimeter set. And watch the spacing. Nice and smooth."

With a final shock, the landing craft settled on the surface and the hatch sprang open. The guards poured out of the cabin without a word. Khariton followed last. As soon as his feet hit the ground, a blast of air almost knocked him over. A glance over his shoulder showed the landing craft accelerating away, joined by the other four. In moments, they disappeared behind a mountain peak.

They had been dropped off on a rocky plateau surrounded by jagged grey spars of rock. Khariton had to search to find the sun, a small blue orb barely surmounting the horizon. The pale light painted razor shadows on the landscape.

He jogged over to join the line of guards seeking cover behind a ridge. "Clear ahead. Second Squad, up front. Third Squad, watch the rear. We've got two hours and fifty-three minutes till sundown. Let's go." After a click in his ear, Raisa spoke again, "Khariton, stay in the center of the column. Don't wander off. I'll find you if I have to, but you won't like it."

"Understood."

The guards set out, moving quickly across the uneven terrain. Radomil flowed past on his left, moving smoothly on six scything limbs. Khariton stared after him, keenly aware he'd only just learned to extend his reach with his suit. His limited experience barely allowed him to keep up, and it took all his concentration to project his suit quickly enough to keep his balance. By the time Raisa called a halt and the company gathered behind another ridge, sweat drenched his underclothes and he struggled to catch his breath.

"Demyan, let's take a look." Raisa reached up with two tentacles from her suit to grab the rocky edge and pulled herself up. First Squad leader Demyan followed her up. They spent only a few seconds before coming down. "No changes from the briefing data. The breach in the perimeter remains unsealed. No sign of defenders. We'll stagger the advance, odds first. Questions?"

Khariton's analyst mind kicked in and he spoke before he realized it: "Are we expecting the perimeter to be held against us?"

Even before he finished speaking, he felt the weight of fifty guards shifting their attention to him. He kept his gaze on Raisa, grateful that his suit hid his flushed complexion.