Chapter 25

Arriving back at the Institute, I was immediately met with Alec. I left the others to take my mother safely inside and turned to him.

"Please tell me you have the cup?" He asked quietly. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused, but nodded. "You know I would never ask something like this of you unless it was the last resort, but it's Izzy-"

"Alec what's going on? What do you need? I'll help Isabelle, just tell me what you need," I cut him off.

He looked a little hesitant, "I need you to give the Mortal Cup to the Clave."

I agreed, not missing a beat, "Of course. May I ask why though?"

"Izzy was arrested in the name of high treason for Meliorn's rescue mission, the Clave has demanded she be stripped of her runes and exiled," He explained in a hushed voice, "The Mortal Cup is the only bargaining chip that might allow her freedom and they have made it clear that unless they receive it-"

Without a second thought, I marched right up to Lydia, who I'd seen coming down the stairs to the training room, retrieving the instrument from the card, and held up the Cup. She looked understandably startled at my sudden appearance, but more so at my demeanour. I stood tall and glared down at her, "If I give you this, Isabelle is cleared of all charges. Am I understood?" I demanded, leaving no room for arguments. Lydia looked a little too shocked to speak, "Do I make myself clear?" I pressed.

"Crystal," Lydia squeaked, "You have my word."

Satisfied, I handed her the Cup and turned back to Alec. "That was frightening," He remarked. I didn't reply and instead walked around him, heading for the office where I had a feeling Isabelle was being held. Alec followed, knowing exactly where I was going, taking a few strides in front and stopping me. "Please, let me tell her."

I looked at the ground but gestured my hand for him to proceed ahead of me into the room. "Jace, Clary and Samara are back," I heard him say. I leaned against the doorframe, listening. "Samara gave the Cup to Lydia. You're free to go."

Isabelle's face lit up and she threw her arms around Alec. "You were right, they came back," She exclaimed, "You knew!"

"Oh, I didn't actually," Alec replied.

"Yes, incase you hadn't noticed already, he has very little faith in us," I commented from the doorway. Isabelle let go of her brother and nearly bowled me over as she wrapped me in a tight hug. "Of course we came back," I said to her. I made eye contact with Alec over her shoulder but I looked away before he could say anything.

"Well, my work is done here," Magnus announced from the corner, looking to Alec he said, "I believe we have some business to settle."

Alec nodded and led Magnus from the office, looking down at me as he passed. I sighed once he left and Isabelle let go of me. I rubbed my hands over my face in pure frustration.

"You should go and talk to Alec," Isabelle rested a hand on my arm, "You have to work this out." I went to shake my head but she held up her hand, "Go. I'll be fine."

I hugged her again and left, finding Alec and Magnus in the training room, but remaining undetected in the doorway. Alec pulled out his bow and quiver and sighed, "As promised - payment in full for defending my sister in court. Thank you."

Magnus looked at the weaponry in his hands then back up to Alec, "I just want you to know Lydia was wonderful in court. I like her, but you don't have to marry her."

"Yes, I do, Magnus," Alec's voice cracked.

"You'll be lonely all your life, and so will she. Neither of you deserve it," Magnus pointed out, then he added, "And Samara doesn't either." Alec's head snapped up and looked Magnus in the eye, who only offered a smile, knowing he'd struck a chord. He held the bow and quiver back out to Alec, "I don't know what to do with these. You keep them for me - maybe teach Samara how to use one properly."