Chapter 1

Walking home after my night out last night, I came to a dead stop outside my loft. "What the-" I frowned. There was smashed glass from the windows, but not a sound to be heard. I ran up the steps. "Mom? Clary?" I shouted. I heard a crash from upstairs, and I bolted up there, hoping to find my mother or sister, or even my mom's boyfriend, Luke. Instead, I found a dark haired girl, standing in my charred bedroom, cursing at the broken chair she tripped over. She sported several inky black tattoos and rather revealing clothes.

"Who the hell are you?" I demanded. Her head snapped up.

"I'm Isabelle, you're Samara Fray?" she asked quickly.

"Uh yeah, why are you in my house?"

"Your sister, Clary mentioned you and I came to find you to bring you to safety," she replied, pulling the curtains back and peering outside.

"Clary? Safety? What happened?" I asked. Looking around wildly, I took in the sight of my burned down home and my chest tightened.

"Look we aren't safe here, come with me and I can explain on the way, but we need to get out of the house." Her words were laced with concern and she kept looking out the window.

"Give me a reason to trust you," I said crossing my arms. I didn't even know if this girl knew where Clary was, let alone if she was trying to help me.

"Are you willing to risk your mother and Clary by not coming with me?" she challenged.

After a moment of thought, I heeded and allowed her to lead the way. Isabelle kept a fast pace as she led me through the streets of New York. I hesitated when she walked up to an old abandoned church. "Uh, I'm not going in there, no."

Isabelle was having none of it though and pulled me through the large doors by my wrist. She walked briskly through the first room, which was full of screens and tablets and all things technological, and up some steps into a section that held two boys, a bed and, my sister.

"Jace! I found her!" Isabelle called, she then turned to me, "This is Jace, and that, is my brother Alec." I turned to her brother and felt a strange pull towards him, like an invisible string. It was gone as quickly as it came but the flicker of surprise that crossed his face told me that I wasn't the only one who experienced it. He recomposed himself before anybody else noticed.

"Oh good, there's two of them," the tall dark haired boy, Alec, said sarcastically, rolling his eyes while I raised an amused eyebrow. It seemed I was not the only one that Clary irritated.

"Samara Fray, at you're service," I gave a mock bow before ignoring him and turning to the blonde, Jace his name was, and Clary, "Dude, somebody fill me in?"

"Well, I ran into your sister here last night at Pandemonium, and found out she has the sight. She was attacked by a demon back at your loft after your mother was taken, where I saved her and brought her back here. She woke up, mentioned you, and I got Isabelle to track you down, and now you're here," Jace brushed over everything like it wasn't a big deal, and to him, I suppose it wasn't.

I nodded, absorbing the information. So my mother was missing. "Uh-huh, okay. One question though," Jace nodded for me to continue, "Demon?"

"Ah, yeah well you see, we're Shadowhunters - half angel, half human, we protect the mundanes from demons. Everything you ever heard about is true, vampires, werewolves, faeries, all of it, they're called Downworlders," Jace explained carefully.

I shrugged, "Okay, so why am I here?"

"What no more questions? No stop tricking me, no you're lying, get me out of here?" Alec fired from the corner, "Your sister had plenty."