Chapter 22

"Welcome to the Seelie Glade, Samara Fairchild," Meliorn said, as he led us through the most pristine woods I'd seen in my life, "The remotest edges of it."

"How did we get here?" I asked. Looking around, I took in the beautiful scenery. It looked real enough to make me believe it was actually there, but had a flawless feel that made it seem fictional. It was so untouched and serene that it certainly couldn't belong in the mundane world but there was no doubt that it was indeed a world of its own.

The air was warm and still, the only sound coming from the light flow of the sparkling blue creek. The sunlight glittered through the vividly green foliage, poking holes in the shade that the tall, unwavering trees provided.

Jace looked around, also taking it in, "There are entrances all through the mundane world," He replied.

"You just have to know where to look," Meliorn added.

"Why did we have to come here to find my father?" I was still a little lost.

The Seelie turned around and pointed to Clary's necklace. "Because of your sister's necklace; it's a portal shard."

Jace rolled his eyes, "Tell us something we don't know."

"How does it work?" Meliorn asked, ignoring Jace.

"When I touch the crystal and I think of someone, I can see where they are," Clary explained.

Meliorn raised an eyebrow at Jace, "I'm curious, Shadowhunter, who knows so much about portals, did you never wonder why this portal shard doesn't behave the way normal portals do?

Clary looked up at Jace, confused. "Normal portals can only take you to places you've been," He explained then frowned, "I guess I never really thought about it."

Meliorn smirked, "I see Isabelle is the smart one in the family. Your portal shard works the way it does because it's a piece of a portal from another dimension."

"Another dimension?" Clary was shocked and I'll admit, so was I.

Jace folded his arms across his chest. "You're saying there's a portal in some other universe that can take us to anyone if we just think of them?"

The Seelie nodded, "If you can find the only portal still standing in that dimension it will take you to your father."

He led us deeper into the woods, where the sunlight could no longer penetrate the thick shrub, until we found a strange formation between two trees. It looked very much like a doorway. "These trees are where the alternate dimensions intersect the Seelie realm," He explained, pointing to the curved branches.

"How is it possible that the Clave doesn't know about your dimensional doorways?" Jace asked skeptically.

Meliorn replied, "They are our most guarded secret. We are their protectors- only Seelies know of their existence."

"Then why are you telling us?" Clary narrowed her eyes.

"I owe your sister a life debt and I don't like being indebted to anyone," Meliorn pointed at me.

"What would happen if-"

"If the Seelie Queen finds out I've shared this with you? I could be executed," He cut Clary off.

"Well, we'll be extra careful then," Jace assured him - his tone borderline sarcastic.

Meliorn shook his head. "There is no we in this scenario. Only Samara goes in to find the portal. My debt is to her."

"You've given us no reason to trust you, Seelie," Jace countered.

"He brought us here," I pointed out, earning a smile from Meliorn.