N I N E T E E N | winter's formal

^ mason's homecoming dress ^

Formal was closing in.

I was on my bed counting down the money I had earned during the past five months, and found enough to buy me a dress at Goodwill.

I internally groaned, which escalated into a external groan as I fell back into bed. I haven't had a call from my mom, and I can't call her just to ask her to send me money for a dress. It doesn't seem right.

I crossed my fingers, hoping for a miracle to happen.

"Yo Mason, I've got these dresses sent me to try out for formal, wanna try them with me?" Lauren entered the dorm, her arms full of dresses.

That was quick.

She then looked up at me, "Wait, do you already have a dress?" She asked me, and I shook my head.

"I have enough to buy me heels in Goodwill," I told her, "how come you have dresses sent to you?"

"Oh, my dad's a producer and mom's a star in an upcoming film, I get these sent for P.R. purposes—you know, sponsored," she explained, "so do you wanna try them on with me? You aren't that far apart on height and everything."

"Except your butt's bigger," I added.

She sighed in content, "the perks of being a dancer." I nodded, laughing. "Anyways, come down here and I'll blast some of my music so we can get this party started." I threw head back in laughter, agreeing with her before hopping off my bed and towards her, helping her out with the dresses. We spread each one across the room, the dresses in a total of eight.

We picked two for one another, and another two were the reject piles for either having too much color, or too much was revealed.

She had picked a pale pink and white dress for me, saying that I've been living in the dark for too long that I need a little light in my life. The pale pink was too tight around my waist since I've been binge eating when we were bombarded with tests and assignments, so I've gain some weight.

The second dress was fitting. It contrasted with my skin tone and was a two piece. I did like how it looked on me; the top was off-the-shoulder with two layers. The underlayer had a sweetheart neckline and wrapped around my chest like a bandeau, and was layered with lace that had sleeves reaching my wrists. The skirt was similar and stopped mid-thigh, the sheer material only wrapped around three-quarters of my waist, letting my right leg be revealed.

"You look so good," Lauren commented, zipping up her dress. Her dress was black and had a sweetheart neckline which had jewels running around the edges. It was tight around her until her knees where it glared out slightly, a slit running along the side of her dress, revealing her left leg. She stared at her legs, running her hand along her legs before cringing, "I need to shave."