Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Jerome 

       "I feel like you're hiding something from me," I said to Nolan while we were eating dinner in the living room. We rarely ate at the dining room table, mainly because Kingsley couldn't sit up by himself quite yet. He was close, but not close enough to sit in a high chair, so he always was on his playmat while Nolan and I sat on the couch to watch him.

       The only time we sat in the dining room was when Kingsley was napping.

       "Why would you ever think that?" Nolan asked.

       "I'm your husband, Nolan," I said. "We've been together for five years. I can tell when you're hiding something from me. You're always just so secretive, like you have been for the past few days."

       "I have no idea what you're talking about," Nolan said.

       "Well, don't you have play poker, because it's obvious you're lying," I said. "So, what's going on? Is everything okay?"

       "Oh, yeah," Nolan said. "It has nothing to do with me, don't worry. I'd actually tell you, but since it doesn't involve me, I'm not telling."

       "But now I'm curious," I said. "Can't you tell me?"

       "Well....I technically can," Nolan said. "But I'd rather not be the one to tell you. You'd understand a lot more once you actually find out what's going on."

       I said. "Fine." Though that didn't make me any less curious. If anything, it made me even more curious.

       "I do want to tell you, because I hate keeping things from you," Nolan said. "And Alan did say I can tell you, but...."

       "Alan?" I interrupted. "It has to do with Alan? So, if I call him and ask, he'll tell me?"

       Nolan shrugged. "You can try, but I wouldn't if I were you. Just wait for a few days. Everything will make sense soon. I'm just afraid if I tell you what's going on, I'll end up telling you the thing Alan wants only me to know."

       I sighed. "You're just making things a whole lot more confusing. Ooh, I know. If I guess, you won't be able to lie if I get it right....Actually, forget that. I can't guess, because I have not even the slightest clue what's happening. Can I get a hint?"

       "No."

       "Damn," I muttered, right as the doorbell rang. 

       "Ooh, that's probably my family," Nolan said.

       "Since when were they coming over?" I asked.

       "Since my dad made a cake, and I told him I wanted some, but he said that will only happen if they come over," Nolan said. 

       "Ooh, cake," I said before placing my plate on the coffee table, then getting up to answer the door, and it was indeed the Princes. Well, most of them. Ryder, Mae, and the twins were the only ones not included.

       I was tempted to ask Alan what the secret was Nolan was keeping, but I wasn't going to with everyone else around.

       "I want to see my grandson," Grayson said as I let the Princes inside. "I miss holding babies. Flower, we need more kids."

       "More? You already have eight," Orchid said.

       "You can never have too much," Grayson said. "We're creating life, Flower. It's a beautiful thing."