Chapter Eleven: Coming Home

Start from the beginning

Wilcox mulled it over for a few moments and for a second Ary feared that he wouldn't believe her. Why would he? They'd only known each other for a week and all she'd proven to him was that she had shot a gun more than once and that she knew how to fight. Hell, she could have learned all that because her boyfriend had been abusing her. She probably wouldn't believe her story if she were in Wilcox's shoes.

"May I ask what you were actually doing?" Wilcox finally asked.

Ary brightened at the prospects of someone believing that she wasn't with an abusive guy. She actually had the urge to kiss Wilcox, but she refrained from it. That probably wouldn't bode well for her future professional relationship with the man.

"I can't really tell you that," she told him. "I'm kinda working on a case and my sister cannot know about it."

"How'd she get involved in the first place?" Wilcox inquired, raising an eyebrow in question.

"I needed a ride and her number was the only one I could remember off the top of my head," Ary answered. Wilcox just stared at her. "So, will you tell my sister that you're taking care of my case?"

"I don't work in domestic abuse," he said, shaking his head.

"She doesn't know that!" Ary objected.

She was pretty sure Mads didn't know that cops specialized in certain areas. Their uncle handled all cases, ranging from homicide to vandalism. Even if Mads did know better, Ary was pretty sure her sister would just be relieved that any cop was taking the case. Mads wouldn't worry about the details.

"I just need you to get my sister off of my back. Please? I'll work whatever case you want me to," she begged him.

Wilcox leaned back in his chair and studied her. He was deciding on whether or not to help her out. He had to say yes. Not only did she need help with getting her sister off of her back, she needed to have an in with Wilcox just in case her supposed biological father started sniffing around. If Wilcox didn't back her up, her family would force her into some sort of rehab facility and she'd never be allowed out of their sights again. She'd be back underneath Juliana's thumb with no chance of escape.

"What do you want me to tell your sister?" Wilcox asked, giving in.

"Send her away somehow. Tell her you need to question me longer, about my boyfriend's activities, and tell her you're going to put me someplace safe. And that she can't know about it for my safety," Ary rushed out the words all in one breath. She was getting excited about pulling a scam on her sister.

"Fine," Wilcox gave in. Ary's face lit up. "But!" Her face fell. "I want you to do something for me," he said, giving her a stern look.

"Name your price," Ary nodded her head. She figured she wouldn't get out of this scott free.

"I need you to get information out of someone," he said, leaning forward on his desk.

"I can do that," Ary said. Gathering information? That was a PI's bread and butter.

Before Wilcox could elaborate farther, his phone rang.

"What?" he answered, testy. He waited a moment, listening to the person on the other line. He rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I'll be right out," he said before hanging up.

"What's wrong?" Ary asked.

"Your sister," Wilcox said, scowling at her. Ary gave him a sympathetic look. "I need to go take care of her. Can you look through this while I'm gone?" Wilcox opened one of the drawers in his desk and pulled out a file. He tossed it at her.