"Holy shit, this place is cold" the boy hissed, rubbing his arms. "How do people live like this?!"

"Just channel some of that fire within," Azar said suddenly, moving to walk next to her son. She smiled fondly at him and ruffled his hair. Her hand dropped to the thick hair gathered at his neck. "You need to cut your hair or put it up."

"Hey! For your information I think I can pull off a mullet!" Keith snapped defensively.

"Mm, whatever you say," the woman shrugged before rushing forward to join her fellow commanders at the front. Keith sighed in annoyance and rubbed his arms again. Red affectionately nuzzled his cheek in an attempt to warm him up. The boy smiled and scratched behind her ear, much to the half feline's pleasure.

"Let's go. Maybe we'll find something interesting." Keith mumbled to his companion, walking further inland. He soon came across a small village where groups of people were busy with their work. He walked around, curiously watching everyone. A few people eyed him suspiciously, probably wondering what a fire bender was doing in the south.

Keith wandered for a while until he saw the Galra in formation, marching toward a fancy building, presumably the home of the cheif. He ran toward it so his mother wouldn't have to call him over, and stood in the crowd next to a high up officer named Thace. 

He noticed while they were walking that Thace's eyes seemed to wander to him every so often. He looked thoughtful, like he was contemplating something involving him. Eventually the man suddenly pulled him aside.

"What? Is something the matter?" Keith tilted his head in confusion.

"Listen, son of Azar. When they talk to the chief, I want you to sneak inside and warn the princess to run and hide." Thace began.

"W-what?"

"Warn Princess Allura to run. They're going to try to kill her."

"I, um, I get that, it's just, why me?" Keith asked suspiciously.

"Your mother most likely trusts you not to interfere. I feel she and the other soldiers are starting to realize my... double agency."

"Double agency?"

"Look, there's no time to explain everything in detail. Just sneak in and warn the princess. It's easy." Thace repeated, and gently shoved Keith toward the chief's house.

The Galra had begun talking to Chief Alfor. They explained that his daughter was reportedly showing signs of an interest in all four elements. The chief looked shocked, but refused entry into his home. He knew their intentions with his daughter.

Somehow, with the minor distraction, Keith was able to slip into the house with some help from Red. She snuck through the open front door, looking like a curious animal, and then she opened a back window for him to crawl through. The boy looked around and quietly called out.

"Allura?" he stage whispered. He peeked into every room in the house until he was suddenly attacked from behind with a cold blast of water that surrounded his lower body and froze him to the spot.

"Who are you?!" a young woman with curly white hair exclaimed. She must've been the princess. "Fath--"

"Wait! Shushshushshush!" Keith interrupted in a panic. "I'm here to help you! The Galra is here to kill you! You need to hide!"

"Mrow!" Red yowled in agreement.

"What?" the princess dropped her aggression and replaced it with terrified surprise.

"The Galra are here. They're gonna kill you,"

"I heard you!" Allura snapped. "Why would they target me?"