Chapter 19: Pain and Misery

Start from the beginning

I went home right after, I couldn't be there after she just ran away and left me.

I don't know what's got her doing this. I didn't think I did anything wrong. I know I didn't do anything wrong, it was unlike her. Unless... I guess I didn't really know her like I thought I did. Maybe it was all for the bet, maybe she finally realized Michaela was who she really loved.

"Oh honey, I know this is hard for you. She made you think she was so good and she goes and hurts you. She fooled us all." Mom told me, hugging me close.

"I thought she loved me. I thought she really loved me." Mom looked at me sympathetically.

"That's how love is..." I wondered how she felt about herself. Was she happy? Did she enjoy being this way to me? Was everything fake to her?

"And she just stared at me like she was hurt! But if she was hurt, why won't she do anything to fix it? She's just sitting there, watching me go through this!" I cried even harder, just as I'd done the last few days. My phone rang and I looked down. Javier was calling me.

"Oh my baby's calling! Answer it!" Mom told me. I laughed a little and answered.

"Hey Javi."

"Hey there Madison. How you holding up?" I sniffed.

"I choked her and tried to kiss her. She leaned in then pushed me away. Then I saw her in the hallway and she told me to leave her alone. Brandy poured milk on her."

"I can't believe her. She deserved the choke and the milk though." I laughed a little.

"Shouldn't you be in school?"

"I had a doctor's appointment. Hey, I have an idea."

"What is it?"

"So I know you probably don't want to do this but I think it'll be good. Avery's comes home late every other night but she's here straight after practice or work otherwise. I think something's up. I want to follow her from school. I think you should come. I hear her crying in her room sometimes and I don't know. I think if she's crying she can't be okay."

"I don't know if I want to be there if she is though. She told me to stay away."

"But Madison, wouldn't it be better to at least know why? You need a reason, you need closure." I bit my lip, thinking about it. "She told you she didn't like that girl, and all of a sudden they're together kissing and shit. You did say you didn't trust Michaela."

"Okay... I'll pick you up when she's supposed to be out of practice."

"Alright. I hope there's something we don't know about this. Avery really loved you Mads. But whatever it is, she's crazy to leave you for it."

"Thank you Javi."

"You're welcome, I'll talk to you later." I hung up and Mom looked at me.

"What's going on?"

"Javi thinks that something's up. He said Avery doesn't seem happy about this and she cries a lot. I don't know what to believe. What could be so bad that she does this to me? I saw her kiss Michaela today, you can't fake that." Mom frowned and shrugged.

"I don't know honey. I liked Avery, but I hate what she's doing to you and I don't see any justice in that." I nodded and played with my fingers.