Chapter Fourteen

Linny

"Come with me," I say and grab onto Linny's hand and drag him out the room and up the stairs. I usher him into one of the bedrooms and then we just stared at each other for a few moments.

I can see the confusion in his eyes. Betrayal, disbelief, anger. I never wanted him to find out like this. I wanted to tell him about my life as a secret agent on my own terms but it seems that Linny can never find out anything that has to do with me normally.

"When I got the internship at Cole's, Dex recruited me. I was so excited you know. Figured I could definitely take care of you with the salary I'd be pulling in from the CIA," I begin while Linny sits on the bed and I sit next to him.

"I did my field training in the evenings when you thought I was working late at the office and when I got accepted into the company as an accountant we started building our case against Cole and his daughter Yolanda. When she took an interest in me I had no other choice than to pretend I liked her. It was going good getting information from her during lunch but the higher ups thought that if I insert myself into the real family business I would get everything they'd need to bring the Coles down," I take Linny's hand in mine.

"I never wanted to marry her Linny but I was ordered to and Yolanda's father found out about you. He threatened your life and so I had no other choice. I proposed to her and left you," Linny never says a word as I tell him everything else, tears cascading down his cheeks as he listens to me.

"Oh God Theodore," he whispers when I finish telling him the gory details of my first case. How I put both Yolanda and her father in jail and got our marriage annulled.

"Who's trying to kill you now?" Linny asks wiping at his eyes.

"That's what we're trying to find out," I shrug a shoulder.

"And Natalie and Bebe are..." he trails off looking forlornly at the door.

"Yea," I breathe.

"How have you been Linny?" I ask softly only now getting a chance to talk to him without any lies in the way.

"I've been good," he murmurs, "The first six months were hard and then I saw your wedding picture. You were smiling, happy," he whispers and my heart quake, I was anything but happy that day. Linny was supposed to be the one I married.

"After that I started trying to put myself back together without you. Started researching some short courses and then I met Harold and his wife. They've been the parents I never had," Linny smiles slightly and I'm so freaking happy that he had them too.

"I did the necessary courses and applied at Stone's International and I got the job. Been there ever since," Linny looks at me with those gorgeous eyes all wide and vulnerable looking. Lips wet and pink.

I want to kiss him damned bad as we gaze at each other in the new lights of the persons we've become.

"I'm so proud of you," I whisper looking at the wonderful man he's grown into without me.

"Linny I'm so sorry for everything-"

"Did you want to leave me?" he asks.

"No! Never. If I could I'd be joined at your hip forever," I tell him honestly.

"Did you sleep with her?" he asks again.

"Never," I reply looking into his eyes making sure he sees my truth.

"Do you still love me?" he whispers so lowly I almost don't hear him.

"I never stopped. Could never stop Linny," I say going to my knees on the floor in front of him.