"In other words, you know we need you," Nicky stated. "On the bright side, be glad Jess didn't want to come."

That was about the only good thing in this discussion so far.

"I know your sister just got here," Nina said apologetically, "and we really tried to think of a way to accomplish this without asking you, but-"

"But," Jess interrupted, "people could die if you don't go, and I'd rather miss you for a few more days as opposed to knowing hundreds could die if this trip is postponed. I'll be fine here as long as I know you're coming back."

I gave her a puzzled look, commenting, "You don't seem particularly worried about me, which is strange considering how long it took me to convince you that I was still alive this morning."

With a slightly embarrassed grin, she shrugged. "That was before I saw you carry the side-by-side out of the trees. And you have Daniel and Nicky for backup."

I found it odd that she named Nicky in that role but didn't include Nina alongside the redhead.

Knowing I was giving in, I growled reluctantly before saying, "Why do I have a suspicion I'll end up regretting this?"

Nicky grinned at me. "Because not a single one of our road trips has ever gone as planned?"

That did not reassure me.

~

       I slung my backpack over my shoulders in preparation for my nightly patrol, not bothering to turn around as I said, "What's up, Jess?"

"How did you know it was me?"

"Your footsteps." I turned around to face her.

"That is so weird." She shook her head, still standing just outside my open door. "You're going out on a patrol, even though you're leaving in the morning?"

"Yes, but I'll come back earlier to get some sleep. I'm still trying to figure out who decided to leave you unsupervised when you've only been here a few days. Try not to burn down the lab before we get out of sight."

She snickered and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm not playing with anything flammable. In fact, I won't even be in the lab much. Most of my time will be spent setting up the new herb gardens, helping the other gardeners, and starting some easy tinctures as practice."

"Are you going to be one of the people looking after the kid in the jail cell?" I really hoped not.

"No, although Nina showed me where the cure was stored in case an accident occurs and someone gets infected. The parents opted to wait until Nina returned before giving him the cure, mostly because it gives him additional time to heal. Oh, did anyone tell you he partially regained control?"

That caught my attention. "No. Is he talking?"

"Kind of, but it's mostly grunts and two or three words. If it's just Daniel, he can manage a full sentence, but it's a struggle. If anyone else enters the room, he doesn't do as well and occasionally lunges against the bars. Do all newly turned zombies act like that?"

"Not always. The virus drags down a Runner's intelligence, and when you combine the bloodlust and problems with control, it's a bad combination until they figure things out. Adults can manage a conversation, but they have to focus on it. Kids... well, it's like they're stuck in a dream with almost no control over what they do."

"And Nightstalkers and Terrors?"

I was silent for a moment as I carefully chose my words. "When you first wake up, you have problems understanding the changes, and you're very disoriented and have difficulty focusing, almost as if you were drugged. The first week is the hardest since you have to learn how to control the bloodlust and get used to your new zombie instincts. Nightstalkers and Terrors don't seem to have the same problems that Runners do when it comes to thinking and focusing, but I've seen ferals of both ranks, and I bet most of them lost control during that first week."

"Would- would you ever want to be human again?"

I exhaled slowly. "I don't think so. After this much time, I've grown used to the extra speed and strength. I know where the pitfalls are, and my control isn't an issue. If you could go back to the girl you were before the zombies appeared, would you?"

She furrowed her eyebrows at the question. "No... I've learned a lot, and I think the experiences and lessons are part of who I am. To undo everything in the last seven months, it would be like, not really being me. Or being a younger version of me, if you get what I mean."

"It was a rough road littered with things we'd rather have avoided, but it was our journey, huh?"

"Exactly! There are some things I would have preferred to have done differently, but at the time, I couldn't have learned from those lessons if they didn't happen."

I nodded. "Try not to learn too many lessons the hard way while I'm gone."

She smiled. "There are plenty of people here who'll probably be willing to help me fix whatever I bungle up. You take care out there. Don't forget to let Daniel and the others help. You're not in this by yourself."

The last sentence rang inside my mind, striking some deep note inside of me.

"Oh, no worries there," I replied lightly. "I plan to make Daniel do most of the work if I can get away with it."

She chuckled. "Good night. I'll see you in the morning if you're still around."

"Good night, Jess," I replied, even though she had already left my doorway, making her way to her room.

As I headed out for my patrol, her words remained with me.

You're not in this by yourself.

***

To continue reading the next season in The Virus Within, click HERE!

The third wave is looming, mere weeks away, but in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse, problems never come just one at a time

* * * * *

Life isn't easy, and that's doubly true when you're a zombie surrounded by humans, a crazy redhead, and a far-too-curious scientist. Once you add in a long-lost sister and a Terror who doesn't know how to zombie, peace and quiet are the last things you'll find.

Reports of a Nightstalker attack come mere weeks before the third wave is due, and Trinity is one of the few who have the necessary skills to take on such a zombie. Leaving her sister in the safety of the Stronghold, Trinity joins the rest of the group as they embark on a road trip to locate the feral creature before it can kill anyone else. Trouble looms on the horizon like a thunderstorm, and where there's thunder, there's lightning.

You better pack your dish soap because the third wave isn't waiting for anyone.

> > > Click here to read Third Wave < < <