Wattpad Original

Chapter 68

I'd never felt apprehensive about nightfall before, but there really was a first time for everything. Even though I was bored out of my mind, I didn't dare leave in case my headache was a sign of an impending loss of control. The others were keeping an eye on me, which was also somewhat annoying since I didn't like being watched constantly.

My instincts still felt unsettled, almost certainly because of the drug in my system. They let me know when the edge of the sun touched the horizon and began to set. To my surprise, they began to stir and rouse, which was earlier than usual, although they weren't truly strengthening yet.

My vision went hazy again, and I shook my head at the unpleasant feeling. It didn't help, but it let Daniel know when my sight went out so he could jot down the time. I glanced to the side, although Nicky hadn't noticed anything amiss.

She was still allowed down here, and that was only because she'd promised to behave for the privilege. She had commandeered several pens and one of Nina's empty notepads, in which she was doodling abstract shapes and swirls.

I felt the exact moment the sun completely left the horizon. I was normally aware of it, but it was far more pronounced this time. As night fell, my instincts continued to strengthen. I rolled my shoulders and resisted the urge to pace.

I was unusually restless, and far too aware that my instincts shouldn't be quite this strong yet. It could be due to my swirling emotions, and some of it likely was, but I somehow doubted I could attribute all of it to that.

"Are you having any problems with your control? Or is the bloodlust any worse than usual?" Daniel asked quietly.

I carefully examined my inner emotions. "No, my control is normal. I'm feeling more restless, but that's about it."

My control was at its usual level. The smell of the two humans burned my throat and their sweet blood was still a powerful temptation, but I overruled it like I normally did. Overruling it had gotten easier the longer I was around humans, much like a recovering alcoholic being able to resist taking a glass of wine at a wine tasting event.

Despite being in a basement room with no windows, I knew the last traces of light were leaving the sky above. My instincts were still rising, sharpening my reflexes as the day turned into my element. I was more aware of Daniel sitting on the other side of the room; he was the only one here who was stronger than me, and that was something my instincts kept tabs on.

I grew more frustrated as my restlessness built. I wanted to be outside under the open night sky and run through the forest like a silent shadow. Instead, I was stuck in a stuffy, smelly basement room under the supervision of two humans and a Terror.

Exhaling gustily, I crossed my legs, trying to bring up the patient side of my instincts to hide my restive fidgeting. My instincts saw no need for the patience of an ambush, and my attempt was in vain. I just wanted to get up and move about after sitting for so long.

"How are you feeling?" Nina asked as she came into the room for another short break.

"Very restless. My instincts seem stronger than usual, and they don't appreciate being in a lit-up basement when night has fallen."

"Please let us know if anything changes."

~

       The next hour passed almost painfully as the restlessness grew more and more pronounced. And because of that, my patience was also waning at a rapid pace.

"I've been in this chair all day. I can't sit here any longer." Yet, I remained where I was.

Nicky had fallen asleep in a chair in the corner. Nina looked up from a machine halfway across the room. Exhaustion was present on her face, but she was still awake and trying to find answers.