Wattpad Original

Chapter 76

I passed a bag of trail mix to Nicky, which she took with a groan as she flopped onto a blanket on the grass. She didn't bother offering me any since she knew I carried the snacks just for her. We hadn't packed a lunch, so she'd have to make do with this until she decided to give up her attempts at becoming a fearsome huntress.

I sat on a nearby log and watched her in amusement. It had taken a bit of effort on my part, but I had managed to keep out of Nicky's line of fire all morning. Not that it had helped her aim any.

She hadn't managed to shoot anything yet, despite dozens of rabbits taunting her. I had even cheated and tracked them down by scent, so it wasn't as if we were having trouble locating the numerous furry critters.

Lifting my head, I peered through the tree branches above me. "So, exactly how did your arrow get up there?"

Nicky glared at the arrow. "I refuse to answer that question."

Her coffee high had given way to grouchiness some time ago, which probably hadn't aided her hunt. I smirked but didn't comment, letting her munch on her snack undisturbed.

When she finished eating, she closed her eyes and stretched out in the warm sunshine. I gazed around the clearing lazily, keeping tabs on the scents and sounds in the surrounding forest. This probably wasn't the best time to tell her that I could see a rabbit from where I sat.

Nicky's breathing evened out as she fell asleep. Shaking my head, I silently climbed the tree to retrieve the arrow. When I came back down, I glanced at the arrow in my hand and then at Nicky. If I hadn't seen her eyeing up the rabbit, I would have assumed she had been trying to shoot a squirrel. She might manage passably well on a stationary target, but moving animals and forest tripping hazards were an entirely different ballgame.

I slid the arrow back into her quiver and glanced in the direction the rabbit had run. Even though I knew there weren't any big predators or zombies nearby, my eyes continued scanning the forest.

With a glance at Nicky, who was doing her best impression of a log, I left the clearing. She would be fine for five minutes.

I circled the clearing a few times to make sure it was safe to leave her. With that done, I checked the air carefully. We really needed to bring back something after being gone most of the day, although the population at large would probably be more than happy to just have Nicky away from the Stronghold when she was like this.

Unfortunately for the deer I could smell nearby, one of them was about to become our peace offering. With one last glance in Nicky's direction, I slipped into the trees as I became the hunter.

I hadn't gone far before I located the herd, and the deer were even walking in my direction. How thoughtful of them to come find me. I climbed halfway up a tree along the trail and watched them approach.

The three does all had fawns in tow, so I didn't want to take any of them. My attention turned to the two young bucks that were traveling behind them. The wind was in my favor, leaving them oblivious to the danger they were walking into.

I waited patiently, biding my time as the does and fawns passed below. The first buck wandered past, and as the second one followed him, I sprang out of my ambush.

My attack was silent, and with the momentum of my downward leap, his eyes barely had time to widen before my blow shattered his neck. The buck collapsed onto the leaf-littered ground while the rest of the herd scattered in a panic.

With the sun in the sky, I had no desire for his blood after what the controlex had done. Wasting the blood bothered me even more than when I had left the meat for the scavengers, although there wasn't much I could do about it since I'd never met a sane zombie who was a fan of cold blood.