Wattpad Original

Chapter 46

I eased my way through the underbrush in complete silence. Not only had the live traps not caught anything, but I was getting tired of rabbits. A young buck continued to nibble on dandelions and shrubs, unaware of the danger he was in.

He ambled closer as he grazed, and I tensed up, waiting for the perfect moment. When he looked in the other direction, I sprang out of hiding. My soundless attack let me reach the buck before he realized I was here. A sickening crunch marked the moment I snapped his neck.

I had been careful in my attack, so even though my leg hurt, the scab probably hadn't cracked open. The deer was a welcome change in the menu, and once I drank my fill, I spat the rest of the blood into two small jars.

Once I finished, I dragged the deer carcass into a section of dense underbrush for the local predators to enjoy. I didn't want the humans to know I was well enough to take down a deer. Even Daniel didn't understand how easy it was for me to sneak up on prey.

I stashed the larger jar under the side-by-side's seat and took the smaller one with me as I went to find Nicky. She made a face when she saw it.

"Is it going to work this time?"

"I'm hoping so. If not, then at least I know there's more still stuck in there."

"Ugh. Fine. Pass it here."

I pulled off my shirt and lay down on it. She sat beside me as she slowly applied the blood. "Huh. I can see the difference since yesterday. It isn't nearly as red and puffy."

"It's not burning this time, so that's good. It should heal much faster now. The scab under my collarbone is already loose. It might even fall off tomorrow."

"That was the smallest one, right?"

"Yes. The others were worse. I think I'll have to try dodging Nina for a while so she doesn't realize how much they're healing. Just in case she says something to someone."

"After she had to dig that piece of leather out of your shoulder, she'll probably want to make sure it isn't having any other complications."

The likelihood of that happening made me growl faintly. "I'm well aware of that. I'm hoping she just checks my back."

"I kind of doubt that. But, if nothing else, neither of us have mentioned leaving yet, so it'll come as a surprise. Even if they do realize you're planning to leave, it isn't as if they didn't expect it."

I thought about it for a bit. "We've been here for five days, and I was shot four days before that. It probably won't take much more than another week until we can disappear. The injuries may still look bad, but the deeper parts are healing. Right now, it's my leg that's holding me back."

Nicky snorted. "Last I heard, you had a bullet go straight through your lung, and another one grazed your heart. I'd be more worried about you collapsing from those injuries."

"The lung and heart itself are healed," I said, chuckling in dark humor. "It's just the collateral damage left."

"I fail to see how you can possibly know that."

I turned my head to watch her over my shoulder. "My appetite is dropping, and I'm not nearly as tired. That means the serious damage has healed."

"So that's why you didn't have lunch. I had gotten used to you eating three meals a day, so it kind of stood out."

I nodded. I had eaten less for breakfast than usual, and I hadn't been hungry for lunch. I had still gone to the dining hall to sit with Nicky – once more in the corner that had been mysteriously left open – but I hadn't taken any food. That meant the worst of the damage had healed. It also meant my healing rate was going to drop unless I applied blood to the wounds a couple times a day.