Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

“You can take my bed and I will sleep on the sofa” Mr Gold said to me.

“What, no I’ll take the sofa I'm intruding, you should sleep in your own bed.” I said.

“No you’re our guest and until we get the spare room sorted you can stay in my bed no arguments now go to bed it’s getting late and you need some rest.” He told shooing me up the stairs.

I was grateful that Stacy packed me some things so I wouldn’t have to go back in my house,  I knew I would have to eventually one day but that day was much into the future.

I was a little thrilled that I was sleeping in Mr Gold’s bed but not in a creepy way I knew I would feel safe that I was in the same house as him and Jake. I took off my bra and pulled on a white tank top and some shorts and slid under the covers.

I waited to fall asleep but every time I closed my eyes I would see my dad’s angry face before he hit me.

I couldn’t sleep to save my life.

When the door opened I looked to see that it was Mr Gold he was tiptoeing so he didn't know I was awake.

“Mr Gold, I can’t sleep” I heard him sigh and walk over to me and sat on the bed, his back to me.

“Ari, you need to rest, do... you... want me to stay with you... just until you fall asleep?” he asked.

I thought about how wrong this could be and how much trouble we would be in if anyone found out.

“If you don't mind.” I whispered figuring I didn't want to be alone right now.

“Ok” he whispered back. He still sat with his back to me and I thought I would cross the line even further.

“Mr Gold” I said.

“Elliot” he said softly.

“Oh right...sorry, Elliot... you can lie down... I mean make yourself comfortable I don’t know when I'm going to fall asleep so you might as well and plus I want you t-” I stopped myself mentally kicking myself I just admitted that I wanted to lie in bed with him crap, crap, crap. None of us had said anything in a while maybe and hopefully he thought I was asleep.

After another minute Elliot pulled back the covers and laid down next to me, we weren’t touching but I could feel his warmth radiating off him.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that it was over line sorry.” I whispered half hoping he didn't hear me.

“Ari” he sighed and turned on his side to face me “you heard me didn't you, in the hospital I mean.”

I froze what was I supposed to say I sighed “yes.”

We were silent for a moment before I spoke again “if you want me to forget and you were just saying that in the spare of the moment type thing and that I might have been dying or something I – I think I will understand” I whispered the last bit sure I’d understand but I wouldn’t be happy about it.

I suddenly felt his arms wrap around my waist and he pulled me to his chest I buried my head in his chest. I felt safe in his arms.

“I meant every word Ari, it’s just that it’s not right you’re my student and I'm you’re teacher we could get in so much trouble.” I felt a lump rise in my throat I wasn’t going to cry because what he was saying is the truth.

I swallowed the lump and spoke “I know Elliot I wish you didn't see me as your student and even though you wouldn’t go to prison you would still lose your job and I would get expelled and I don't care about me but I do care about you and I wouldn’t want to ruin your career” I took a deep breath while he sat up I laid there confused, had I said something wrong.