There was just something about her that eased him, that made him shut his eyes, that made his tension ebb. The comforting hands that worked a rhythm on his back were gently lulling him to a state that made him want to fall immediately to sleep. That wouldn't do, of course. They couldn't sleep standing up in the middle of the cold kitchen.

'I can now,' he said softly, his lips brushing against her neck. She let out a little laugh at the tickle of his breath on her skin, and he smiled.

Back in their bed, he let her cradle him between her arms. Her breathing was a soft flutter on his hair, and he could keep his eyes open long enough to study the little crease under one closed eye, the curve of her pert nose, and the bow of her mouth. He pressed his lips to her jaw, and held her closer to him, savouring the blanket of contentment she had created for him, just like that, even as their legs lay tangled beneath the quilt.

Tomorrow, she may hate him. But tonight, he would take what comfort he could get.

~

He had told her he would be there at twelve. But twelve had come and gone, and now it was 1PM, and she was unimpressed and annoyed. So much for arranging a lunch date. She could have gone out with Haruki, but now she was stuck waiting for a husband who may never turn up.

Hana gave her phone another glance and

Lyonya^___^:

See you at 12 :D

Received 10:04AM

Me:

Okay!

Sent 10:15AM

Where are youuuuu

Sent 12:14PM

You coming?

Sent 12:30PM

Grrr

Sent 12:40PM

I'm going off... Don't come.

Sent 01:10PM

She let out a huff. She had waited long enough, and she didn't plan to lunch alone here as the cacophony of conversation in a mix of Russian and English grew louder and rowdier. Oh, it would have been fine with Leon around. Some of the men here were probably his; they wore their tattoos like proud badges, displayed on bare arms with sleeves rolled up or peeking out of unbuttoned collars. She gave the menu a last, regretful look. She had wanted to taste Russian cuisine again, after their trip three years ago. Well, it could wait.

Hana called for her bill, which consisted of a glass of ice latte and a cinnamon sugar-coated pretzel, and searched for the exact combination of notes in her wallet long enough to hear two newcomers discuss how 'some yakuza bastards had been hauled in for spying'.

She chilled. Her fingers slowed in their search. There were many yakuza factions, she reasoned. Many Russian mob bosses as well. The Udinov's, for instance, she had learnt, had no intention of honouring the deal that Leon had brokered with the Kei-Shiragata on behalf of the Federov bratva.

'Why?' one of them had asked the other. They had settled down along the counter, one seat away from her. 'Aren't we working with them now?'

'Don't know. But like I said, they were spying on our activities. Leon doesn't like that.'