Chapter 26

I let the message sink in while Patrick tried to get on Cleverbot again. 

"The site won't work!" He exclaimed, refreshing yet another time.......I sank to the floor when I realized what the message couldmean. He'd kill me. Really soon. Probably in the street, or the park. There'll be a Snowball Festival theresoon. But what if I decide not to go? Wouldn't that change everything? Yeah, I'll just stay home.Problem solved. I laughed when I realized how easy it is to outsmart David. "What're you laughingabout?" 

"It's nothing. Just trying to be optimistic." I lied, finally a bit convincingly. 

"So, how do youthink he did it?" 

"Did what?" Patrick pointed at the screen. "How he managed to hack into thewebsite? I mean, wouldn't you need a computer genius to do that?" 

I shrugged."I dunno. Maybe a delusion of his taught him computer science?" 

He laughed. "Could be! I guessthere's an upside to being insane, eh?" I nodded while laughing. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket,and answered it.

 "Alice? Alice, when are you coming home?" Oh......my mom..............

"I'm at Tara'shouse. That's where Patrick's staying. I'll start on my way now." 

"Oh, alright. See you soon, sweetie!"She hung up. Dang, my mom is a bit bipolar. 

"I guess I'll be heading home now. See ya, Patrick!" Iwaved him goodbye, and started going home. I didn't notice anything really suspicious, and I washome pretty soon. "Mom! I'm here!" I greeted her. She was watching TV. "What're you watching?" Iasked, propping myself onto the couch. 

"A Christmas Story. People are getting into the Christmasseason a week early!" It really is a bit stupid to let stuff like this on TV a week before Christmas actuallyhappens, but, then again, have you checked the shops back in September? They were sellingornaments and costumes and all the stuff you can! I love this movie, though........ 

"Which part are you on?" 

She shrugs. "I think.........I don't know. I didn't pay that much attention." Sheconfessed. I laughed, and started watching with her. The movie ended soon after, though, so I wentback to my room. 

"Hmm," I mumbled. "Wonder if I can go on Cleverbot now?" I went on my computer.TT InfoSign up Log in Cleverbot actually was working. 

'Hello, David.' I decided to try. 

'Oh, I'm not David.' It answered. 

Alright. 'Then who are you?' I waited a bit. 

'I always recommend anonymity on the internet, Alice.' It came as ashock to me that it knows my name. Didn't it just say that it isn't David? Then again, it might have lied.It might be him, after all. 

'You are David, aren't you?' I asked. I didn't really expect an honest answer.Actually, I had no idea what I was expecting. 

'No. I am not David. I cannot tell you who I am, because Iprefer being anonymous. You, on the other hand, have no chance of hiding yourself from me here. I cantrack you down anytime you are on the internet.' I wasn't expecting this. Is this some sort of virus thatfollows me? Did David permanently hack himself into my computer? What? 

'What are you doing to mycomputer?' I need to get information! 

'You don't need to know that. Prepare yourself, Alice. Prepare forwhat will come soon. You should know this. You might think you've figured out what to do, but youhaven't. You will find out soon enough.' 

The website shut down again. What does he mean? Maybe itisn't the Snowball Festival........What if it's something else? I gasped when I realized it. What if it's at thedance?