Chapter 39

Once I realized that mom was in the room, I threw my phone down and jumped up. "Mom! We can't go to the dance tomorrow!" I shouted. 

She sighed. "Alice, we've been through this before. We have to go, you have a mask if you want to cover your scars, and you'll dance. That's final." Millions of thoughts ran through my head. 

None of them was a good response or even good enough to convince her, so I decided to tell her the truth. "Mom, if we go, you'll get killed!"

 My mom suddenly got a very serious look. "Young lady, death is a very serious subject. You can't joke about it. We're going to the dance. End of discussion. Now come with me, and we'll have lunch." She practically ordered, then left the room, leaving me standing there. I fell back on the bed. I'm a failure. I can't even help my mom escape her own death. 

Exactly, Alice. You're a giant failure. No one likes you. Cower up and cry, but no one will care. 

No. Stop, stop, stop, stop! Leave me alone! My mother loves me.....Tara likes me, and........Patrick does, too........Dad......Dad used to like me, but he left.

"Alice! Hurry up!" My mother yelled. I slowly went outside my room, not able to believe it. Mom. No......I can't.......I..I.....I can't give up! But I couldn't bring it up immediately. It would get me in trouble. I didn't have to bring it up, though. I was halfway through the meal, which was spent in silence up until now, when my mother looked up. "Why did you even say that I'd get killed, Alice? That really isn't funny!" She said, pretty stern. 

"Because it's true!" I countered. 

"Alice, how would you know that? Have you been talking to people on the internet, again?" 

"No, mom! I can't really say how I know it..........." I looked down and regretted never telling her about being stalked. 

"Alice, tell me why you said that." I don't know. I really don't know how to tell her. 

I just sighed and said "I don't know, mom. I'm a teenager. It's probably just hormones. Sorry for getting you so unnerved." I'm going to stay by her side during the whole dance. I won't move an inch. 

My mom eyed me doubtfully. "Alright. I don't like this Alice, but I guess I have to trust you." She said, then smiled. "Sorry for getting so angry at you." I forced a smile on my face and nodded. 

She has every right to be angry at you, you failure. 

 I ignored the voice. It stopped after a while. The afternoon went by way too quickly. Before I knew it, it was evening. I guess that I was really curious to go on Cleverbot. Weird, right? I went on the internet, and went on the website. I wasn't really sure if he was there. Actually, now, I was hoping that he wasn't...........

Then, a message appeared. 'Showing up voluntarily? That takes bravery, especially after your little phone call.............' 

'Just cut the crap. I came here to bring you a message.' I tried acting cool. 

'Oh, is that so? Please do. I would be very delighted to hear it, or read it.' 

I found this actually a bit intimidating. I decided to say what I wanted to, though. 'Stay away from me. Stay away from my mother. Stay away from my life, alright?' I waited quite a bit for a response. 

At first, I thought it left, but eventually a simple message arrived. 'No. We started a job. We'll end it, too. You can't stop him, Alice. He'll get your mother. Eventually, he could get you, too. Goodbye, for now, Alice.' 

The window closed. I was so infuriated by this message. Seconds later, a computer mouse flew through the hallway.