Chapter 18

"C-Cathy?" I looked at Sophie. She looked confused. "Cathy, is there something you didn't tell me?" she asked 'herself'. There was a short silence. 

"She didn't know...........she says she only knows about things that happened after her daddy called her." But........but.....no. It's her fault.......it's her fault my father's dead. 

"Why didn't he.....why didn't he just take someone from the asylum? It would have been.....easier............." 

Sophie changed into Cathy again. "Daddy wouldn't kill those poor people!" she pouted. 

"Well, he sure as hell killed my father instead!" I yelled. 

"H-he...he........." she couldn't find any words, so she just quieted down. I turned back to David, who wasn't really paying attention to the whole thing, playing with the knife. 

"Hey!" He ignored me. "Hey! Pay attention!" He still didn't. "David!" 

In a second the blade was on my neck. "Alice, don't call me David. It's not my name anymore." He growled. "Now, what's so important that you got yourself into a deadly situation?" He asked. 

"I-I..I wanted to know.....how did you know Cathy's here instead of my dad?" 

He grinned. "I saw his face. I was watching the asylum chief when he was killing your dad. You two look very much alike. I never forget a face, you know."

 I pushed him away. "Well, you sure as hell forgot your own brother's face." 

 "I didn't. He isn't important anymore. He betrayed me, Alice. He didn't help me when I was being sent to that horrible place....." I wonder why? I really fucking wonder why. 

"You fucking threatened him! I got threatened by you, and I'm not really too thrilled to offer you a cup of coffee, am I?" He looked around. 

"Well, you know, a cup of coffee wouldn't be so bad. I'm a bit tired from spending the night under your window!" 

I shoved him. "WELL THEN DON'T FUCKING DO IT! IT WOULD DO US ALL A FUCKING GREAT DEAL OF GOOD, ALL RIGHT? I AM WAY TOO USED TO YOU BEING AROUND! I SHOULDN'T BE WAKING UP IN THE MORNING ACCEPTING THE FACT THAT I COULD GET KILLED ANY TIME! I SHOULDN'T EVEN BE TALKING TO YOU! I SHOULD BE AT THE FUCKING POLICE STATION IF I DIDN'T KNOW THAT YOU'RE INSANE ENOUGH TO KILL THE LOT OF THEM!" I shouted at him. I really couldn't take it. It was too much. I was used to a killer being in my very fucking room. Isn't this fucking great? Yeah....of course. "PISS OFF, ALRIGHT?!" I had one more go. He considered for a moment. Then I suddenly realized someone was sobbing. I looked to my bed, and Sophie was sitting there, crying. David suddenly looked protective, and worried.  Two things I never thought I'd see on his face. 

"Are you alright, Sophie? What's wrong?" 

She looked up with puffy eyes. "Miss Alice.......she......she's shouting......I don't like it when people shout. I-it reminds me of Daddy........" It was Sophie, alright. It's weird that such different people live in one body. One girl has a father who would literally kill to see her again, while the other..........has an abomination of a father. It's disgraceful. An abusive father. It really is just.........ugh. No one deserves such a thing. 

"Don't worry, she won't shout anymore. Right, Alice?" He looked at me, as if to say 'I will fucking kill you if you don't act happy right here, right now'. 

 I forced a smile. "I'm happy, Sophie. See? I've even got a big, wide smile to prove it." I glared at David, as the scars started hurting again. 

 "How about a wider one? You don't look happy enough!" He spat back. 

"Sophie? Could you please tell your brother to shove off? Please leave me alone, the both of you. I'm sick. I need rest. This is not rest." 

Sophie smiled widely, then tugged at his hair. "We have to leave! Didn't you hear?" She pulled him outside, through the door for once. I sighed, and lied down on my bed. This is just fucking great. Rest? This is great rest. There's nothing like a casual chat with a murderer and his little sister to calm you down, eh?