Chapter 19

Sorry this is late but I've been so busy with college. /= I have finals this week and next so I won't be able to write but once this semester is over and I'm settled at home, I'll be able to write again! Sorry this chapter isn't the greatest either; I wanted to get something out though. Promise the next chapter will be better!

===========================

"Ah, is this the wolf you were telling me about?" the woman directed her question towards the vampires, but her gaze never left mine. I stared in awe at the creature before me. Although far from what Ariel had been, she was still beautiful in her own way. From what I could see in the dim light emitting from the moon, the mermaid had delicate hands with webs between the fingers that ended in pointed nails. I couldn't quite make out what color her hair was, but it drifted down and over her shoulders to float in the movement of the waves.

"Hi," I said as I walked towards her. I felt the water caress my ankles as I waded into the water and drew closer to the mystical beauty. I knew my shoes were now soaking wet but that didn't stop me from moving closer to the mermaid. Her hands reached up towards my face, but before she could touch me, I felt Cameron grab me from behind and drag me away. I blinked at the contact and felt like I had been snapped out of a spell.

"What happened?" I stammered.

"She used her magic. It's how they draw their victims to their watery deaths," Cameron growled.

The mermaid smiled innocently at me, "Oh, I wouldn't have done that to you, love. I just wanted to see how much power I held over you." She turned to Markus and snapped, "You haven't taught her anything, have you? How is she supposed to protect herself when she can't even defend herself against our magic?"

"We haven't had the time, Nerin!" he smiled sheepishly.

"The time?!" Nerin repeated. "You better make time because if you don't, she'll have all the time to think about what she could have done differently when she's six feet under!"

Markus laughed nervously, "She's not going to die. We'll get her ready for battle."

I glanced over at Cameron. Why did Markus seem so awkward around the mermaid? Usually he was so in control; but right now he seemed shy. Omen didn't look very happy either. What was her deal?

Movement from the water caught my attention and I turned in time to see a man pop out of the water. He floated over to Nerin. A merman! He had longer hair as well but not as long as Nerin's.

"Hello, love," Nerin said as the merman approached. "This is Merrick, my mate."

I noticed Omen immediately perked up and wondered if this had been a lover of Markus's? That would explain why she had appeared so unhappy when Markus and Nerin were talking until just now, when Nerin mentioned she had a mate. Was Omen jealous? I hadn't even realized vampires could get jealous. But how old did that make Nerin? She appeared so young.

"Nice to meet you," I greeted Merrick. The others followed suit and then discussion of the forthcoming battle ensued along with the plan of trying to bring the fight to the ocean in order to have the aid of the merpeople. Cameron and I eventually drifted off to wander down the beach as the vampires talked to our newfound allies. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply, enjoying the smell of the ocean and how different it was from the trees.

"Did you say if you've been to the ocean before?" Cameron asked.

I shook my head. "Nope. I've always wanted to go but we never got the chance. I can remember my mom talking about it with my dad and how they said they missed it. We had plans to go but then Matt came along so of course money got a little tight again. But since we moved here and my dad got a better job, they had been talking about it more."