Chapter 8

Morgan’s POV:

"I'm so sorry Morgan... I tried to save you."

Those words stuck in my head all day. I thought back to the horrid dream and of watching Cameron walk out of the mist. In my dream the evil had finally arrived, but not in the person Markus and I had thought we would fight. The thing we knew we would have to kill.  I remembered the horror I had at seeing him being the mysterious figure. How much it had hurt me... Ugh, stop thinking like that dammit!

And then, before the dream there had been that near-kiss. I didn't want this to become one of those fairy tales you hear about. Where the girl and wolf-boy fall in love, and live happily ever after. But I guess now it wasn't so much a tale anymore, it was real. I don't know why I thought like this. There was never anything to make me feel so ruthless towards romance. I guess I was just an anti-romantic.

I groaned inwardly thinking about me being the mate of Cameron.

"Something wrong hon? You haven't eaten a lot of your breakfast," my father asked me concerned.

"No, I guess I'm just not hungry..." I replied. He just nodded, and went back to eating.

I skipped through lunch and walked outside, ignoring when my mother called my name. Then I heard Cameron's voice yelling too, but that too I ignored.  I didn't feel like talking to anyone. I looked up towards the tree tops, and saw the sunlight streaming in. Thinking back, it had been somewhat day time when I had met Markus. He was a Vampire so how could he come out during the day? Did he have some special ring or something that allowed him out in the sun? Or was he so old that his body tolerated it for a certain period of time?

I turned my attention to the left when I heard someone walking through the forest, well, blundering was more like it. I sat on a large rock in a clearing, and watched as Cameron finally cleared the brush.

"You know, for someone that is supposed to be sneaky in the woods. You're not." I snorted as he nearly fell down after tripping over a log.

"Oh, Ha Ha. You're sooo funny," Cameron shot back.

I giggled, and Cameron looked at me, "You think that's funny? I got cuts and scrapes from that! Ran into a damn thorn bush."

I laughed harder and Cameron puffed out his chest and stalked towards me.

"You really think that's funny, don't ya?" he asked me.

Grinning, I poked him in the chest, "Why, not at all."

Cameron laughed and suddenly picked me up. One minute I was sitting on the rock, the next I was nestled in Cameron's arms, still laughing.

"Put me down Wolf Boy!" I shrieked in delight.

As Cameron set me down, we both heard the crackle of twigs breaking and whipped around to face where the noises were coming from. Out stepped a young looking boy, maybe older than Cameron or maybe younger. It was hard to tell.

He had dark brown hair that reminded me of a chocolate color, as were his eyes. 

"Oh hey Jordan. Jordan this is Morgan. Morgan, Jordan. Morgan's my mate," Cameron told the boy.

"It's nice to me ya Morg!" I laughed at the new nickname, "I'm in the pack with Cameron here." Jordan explained, wrapping his arm around Cameron's shoulders.

"Yes, he is my second-in-command," I thought this sounded corny, but I kept that thought to myself, knowing it wouldn't be greatly appreciated, "You're going to meet the rest of the pack tonight."