Chapter 16

Morgan's POV:

A week went by with no more attacks. I prepared for my first day of school in Forrestwood and Cameron hadn’t been at my house since we had let my parents know what had happened. When we explained what had occurred involving myself, my parents were freaked out; they had never heard of anything like that happening before and neither had Justin and Cathy.

The Saturday before school, I woke up and peered out my window. Cameron stood leaning against a black Ford truck; his hair waved gently in the light breeze and a tight white tee fit snugly against his muscled chest. I let my eyes wander over his body hungrily until I noticed he was staring up at me.

Embarrassed I had been caught in my ludicrous thoughts, I dressed quickly and trotted down the stairs. Not to my surprise, Cameron was already in the kitchen eating the breakfast my mom had cooked. I could hear my parents talking in the living room over the sound of the news.

“Hey,” I greeted him, a smile plastered on my face.

He chuckled, “Hey. Come sit down and eat. After this we’re going to go have a meeting with the pack. I’ve talked to Jordan about it a little bit, but everyone needs to know.” Cameron’s eyes had black circles underneath them as if he hadn’t slept in a week.

He probably hasn’t, I thought grimly. I’ve barely managed to get any sleep myself.

I sighed and sat down at the table. The last thing I wanted to do was go to a pack meeting and deal with Catherine. She obviously didn’t like me, but hey, the feeling was mutual. I munched on a piece of bacon while Cameron finished up his pancakes. He stood up and indicated that he wanted to leave. I shoved the rest of the bacon into my mouth and hurried outside.

“Cameron,” I began as we got into the truck. “Did you feel the pain in your head as well?”

He backed out of the driveway and down my road before answering, “A little, yeah. But it wasn’t too bad. It felt more like I was starting to get a headache.”

“Hmm,” was all I said as we turned onto the main road and headed into town. Forrestwood consisted of a post office, a gas station, a locally-owned store where you could get your food or basically any other item you needed, and a bar. Other than that you had to drive into the city to get what you needed. I had yet to go to the city but I didn’t think I was missing out on anything. I hated cities and the last thing I wanted to do was get stuck in traffic or caught in a car crash.

We drove in silence to where the pack was to meet; it was a large Victorian style home with a large backyard. I could see a black head popping up along the fence and a deep aggressive bark emitting from behind the fence.

“Who’s house?” I asked in amazement. It was incredible. Light blue shingles with a black roof gave the house a cheery and peaceful aura. White shades decorated the windows and I could just make out a sun room to the west side.

“Mine,” Cameron answered.

“Awesome!” I said, totally amazed that he would be living in a house like this. “That your dog?”

“Yeah, for some reason we get along fine with dogs. But most other animals? Not at all,” Cameron answered my unspoken question.

I nodded my head, “No wonder my cat didn’t like my parents.”

I heard Cameron chuckle but then the door slammed open and I looked up to see Catherine standing in the doorway. I uttered a low growl but Cameron lightly touched my arm and I broke it off. She had tan shorts on with white tennis shoes; she wore a white tank top and I noticed that it covered her mid-drift this time. She had a snarky smile on her face and I could feel the hatred coming off of her.