Chapter 17

Monday morning, I woke up to the sounds of birds chirping and the delicious aroma of bacon and pancakes wafting up from the kitchen. I scurried downstairs after hurriedly getting dressed. Rounding the corner, I saw to my dismay that Cameron was in my kitchen. He glanced up at me but quickly looked back down at the sheet of paper he had in his hand.

I walked over to the other side of the table and grabbed a plate my mom had prepared for me. "Thanks," I smiled. She kissed my forehead and walked upstairs to grab my brother. I ate my pancakes as fast as possible and scooted out the door to my car. Before I could get in, Cameron grabbed my arm and dragged me over to his truck. I reluctantly followed him, knowing I had no choice.

As we got in and drove off towards school, he said, "You have all the same classes as me so I can keep an eye on you. I don't want you getting hurt."

I didn't look over to acknowledge that I had heard him. He didn't ask me if I had. What was with him thinking I needed someone to watch over me? I wasn't some helpless kid, I could take care of myself. I snarled. Dammit, I'm a grown woman!

"Something wrong?" Cameron asked, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"Nothing," I hissed, continuing to face the road. Asshole.

When we got to the school, I noticed some of the pack members standing by their vehicles. I grinned and waved when I saw Jordan. Sighing, I bent to open the door but Cameron grabbed my left arm, forcing me to stay still. I whipped my head towards him, glaring.

"Listen, you need to be careful. We don't know what's going to happen with this thing, and I don't want you getting hurt."

"I don't need your protection. I'm perfectly capable of handling myself," I growled, ripping my arm away from his hand and throwing open the door. I jumped out and looked over at Jordan who had a slight smile turning up the corners of his cheeks. His brown hair blew haphazardly in the wind, flicking across his eyes. I smiled and slammed the door shut, throwing one last scalding glance at Cameron before stalking over to Jordan.

"Hey," I mumbled as I neared him. Now I was worried about Jordan getting in trouble. I didn't want him caught up in Cameron and I's issues.

He laughed, "Fun ride to school?"

I snorted. "Why can't I take my own car?"

His lips formed a thin line, "We don't know what's out there. And Cameron doesn't want you getting hurt. You're his mate whether you like it or not. Cameron isn't always the easiest to get along with because he's cocky and arrogant, but you're the woman to put him in his place!"

"You're not helping, Jordan." I grumbled miserably, before following Cameron into the school as he beckoned towards me. I glanced over my shoulder at Jordan, who gave a what-are-you-going-to-do shrug and offering an encouraging smile.

I sighed heavily and stomped towards the building, following the blonde head of hair in front of me. If looks could kill, the bastard would be on the ground writhing in pain while the vultures flew overhead. I grinned at the thought and my mood instantly picked up. As we walked into the school, I caught several girls staring at Cameron longingly. Instantly, I felt a shock of jealousy and stepped closer to Cameron, holding back the urge to snarl at the teenagers. When they saw my look on my face, they quickly turned back to their lockers.

I smiled, then shook my head. What the hell was I doing? Was I jealous? Of these girls?

I snorted, causing Cameron to glance at me questioningly. I shook my head and slowed my pace so I wasn't so close to him.

As soon as this danger went away, the sooner I could go back to my normal life. Well, somewhat normal. I would have to deal with Cameron for the rest of my life - and Catherine, I thought sulkily. Now that I thought about it, I'd rather deal with Cameron than her any day. Speaking of the bitch, here she was. She smiled at Cameron as he approached her and pointedly ignored me. I thought back to the lie I had told of us having sex. An evil thought crossed my mind. I strode up to Cameron and laid my hand on his arm. Bringing my mouth close to his neck, I inhaled his scent while looking directly at Catherine. She drew in a breath and shot a death glare at me before turning away.