Floors

Maya

I shove another handful of popcorn in my mouth as my eyes fixate on the screen. Hallie and Annie just fenced and turned around to see that they look the same. "I never understood how they didn't know they were twins right at this moment," I comment.

"I know right!" Riley confirms. "Like, you are freakin identical. Everyone sees it and yet it takes you like two more weeks to put two and two together," I laugh.

"And can you imagine the adults, like, awkward. They know something went down but they can't really tell the girls that they were obviously separated at birth because they could get sued or something," Riley nods her head, taking a sip of her soda. She sits up from her reclining position on her bed.

"I've missed this," she says, grabbing some m&ms. "I thought I would die when you lost your memory," she says, turning serious.

"Hey," I say, reaching for her hand, propping my head up on my free hand. "I'm back, and I won't ever leave you," Riley lays back down, her head sharing my pillow. I put my head down too and hold her hand.

It's probably like one in the morning but Riley and I are as awake as ever, sitting on her bed in the dim light of her room. We laugh quietly as I try to through an m&m in Riley's mouth and miss.

"So how's it going with you and Farkle?" I ask. She looks down and smiles.

"I can't believe it took me this long to realize he's my soulmate. I want to be with him every second of every day for the rest of my life," she says. I through another m&m and she cringes her head out of the way just before it can land in her mouth.

"Wow, soulmate huh?" I ask. I've never thought about soulmates, never though they existed, just some made up thing happy couples tell themselves to make every single person feel even more hopeless than they already do.

"I know it sounds crazy, he's my first boyfriend. But there's just something in me that knows. My parents were each others firsts too, and look at them now," I know she has a point, but not everyone can be Cory and Topanga.

"I'm happy for you," I say. And I mean it.

"What about you and Lucas?" She asks, taking the m&ms from me and throwing one. I catch it effortlessly in my mouth. She fake applauds me and I smile.

"Were good," and we are, it's not a lie, but it feels less impressive than how Riley explained her relationship with Farkle. I know Lucas and I are in love, and so are they, and honestly, I feel what Riley described. But I don't know how to say it out loud, or at least, I can't.

. . .

Life is good, it's raining outside, my favorite weather. I sit impatiently at my desk in history class, waiting for the final bell to ring and release me into the cold damp day. I quietly pack up my things and stand up right as the bell rings. Lucas, who was sitting next to me can't keep up as I push my way through the door.

I speed walk through the halls and open the front doors of the school. I immediately feel the droplets on my face. I spread my arms like a crazy person and look up at the sky, closing my eyes. I feel Lucas's arms wrap around me and he pushes me playfully away from the door where I was blocking everyone's exit. He comes towards me and I run away.

My hair is soaked already. Lucas runs his fingers through his own wet hair and smiles as he runs towards me.

We must have looked like four year olds. Playing tag around trees, slipping on the wet grass and laughing at the rain. Lucas caught me by the waist and pulled me to him.

"Gotcha," he says quietly, hardly audible through the rain. His mouth finds mine. It's harder to breath than normal, with the rain running down our faces and blocking our nostrils. We kiss until we're both out of breath.

"I love you," I say, touching his face.

. . .

Lucas pushes open his front door and our wet clothes and hair drip all over his fine hardwood floors.

"Oh no, your floor," I say, impossibly trying to catch the drops from my hair before they fall.

"Don't worry about it," I look up at the almost foreign voice and see Lucas's mother. I smile at the surprise, I haven't seen her in months. "Come here girly." She opens her arms to me.

My smile grows as she steps towards me and hugs me, not giving a second thought to my appearance or wetness. I knew I liked her.