I Think It's True

Maya:

  I just couldn't deal with school anymore. Everyone was just so pushy, I couldn't take it anymore. I miss the days when it was just Riley and I, then I only had one person to deal with. It was easier to convince her I was fine.

I run to the subway, not knowing where I'm going, definitely not home. If that text my mom sent me this morning is true, no way I'm going home anytime soon.

The text basically said that my father is in town and will be staying with us, trying to make up for leaving us all those years ago. I can't believe it, after hurting me in that car accident and then leaving my mom and all the things in between. I can't see how she's let him back into our lives! She's always at work anyway, she won't have to deal with him. That will be all me.

I get off at my usual stop, but instead of going up to my apartment, I decide to just walk.

Before I know it, I've made a complete circle around the block. It must have been hours since I got off the subway. I look around, the sky looks cloudy, suggesting that it might rain. I sigh and keep walking. I like rain. Maybe it'll wash away these thoughts, because oh my God I don't want to think anymore. Why can't I just be? Why can't I be a happy person with an easy life who doesn't have to deal with all of the things I do?

"Maya!" I hear from behind me. I shake my head and look up to the dark sky, I can tell by the voice that it's Lucas.

"Not now Rick," I say walking faster.

"Wait," he says catching up to me. "You know you've got Riley and Farkle really worried." Can I punch this guy yet? I don't want to think of my friends right now. I can't.

"Whatever," I reply, I'm specifically walking to get away from my problems, and Texas here certainly isn't helping.

He walks alongside me in silence for a few minutes, I don't mind having him here as long as he doesn't speak.

"So," he says. So much for the not speaking. "What're you thinking about?" I feel a raindrop land on my cheek and look up. "Is it raining?" He asks and looks up too.

I continue walking, not answering him. "Don't you live like a mile back?" He asks pointing behind us. The rain has stared to drizzle now, and I don't even care that I'm only wearing a thin shirt and no jacket.

"So?" I say, "it's not like I'm going back there," ugh. I didn't mean to say that, it'll just invite questions. Ones that I won't be answering.

"Ok," he says and goes quiet. The rain's really coming down now and Lucas searches his backpack for an umbrella. "My house is right there if you don't want to be in the rain," he points to a big, blue and white house whose lawn looks perfectly idealistic from the flowers to the tire swing on the oak tree. The house was at least four times the size of my apartment, and for some reason, that angered me.

I stop dead in my tracks and turn around, "Leave me alone," I say through clenched teeth. Lucas's face looks confused by the vehemence of my voice and expression and he stands still, stopping his fiddling for an umbrella. I give him a warning look with my eyes. I know I shouldn't talk to so called friends like this, but I can't seem to care. He's used to my attitude anyway.

I turn around and walk away, not hearing any footsteps behind me, I let out a breath. I let the rain soak through my clothes, letting the cold distract me from all of my troubles. That breath I let out must have been a trigger to something because my breathing turns shallow.

I see a bench ahead and sit down. I groan and slowly put my head in my lap, folded over on myself, and cover my face with my hands. The rain is coming down hard on my back, after a few minutes it feels like someone is pouring a bucket of pebbles on me. I don't move.

I feel the far side of the bench weigh down a little, and all of a sudden, the pebbles stop falling. I know the rain hasn't stopped because I still hear it hitting the ground all around me. Someone's holding an umbrella over me. I don't have to look to know that it's Lucas.

Complicated People, Complicated Loveजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें