Chapter 26 - "Don't assume you know everything."

Depuis le début

Only a few tables were filled, the occupants lost in work or phones. The clouds clashed outside, sending lightening skittering away, closely trailed by roars of thunder. Rain beat at the window, sending rivers sliding down the glass.

Settled into a booth, Carter watched the storm. Maggie set down a plate with two cookies, prodded Carter's arm and handed her one. For a long moment, either of them spoke and neither of them ate. Carter broke the cookie into pieces, staring at the crumbs.

"Steve said you talked to your mother yesterday," Maggie said, her tone cautious.

Carter nodded.

"How did it go?" Maggie asked.

Carter shrugged. Maggie reached out a hand and placed it on Carter's.

"I know it must have been hard, but at least you got closure, right?" 

At the word closure, Carter pulled back: it was the last thing she felt. Inside her still felt like a gaping wound, a wound she was powerless to close. She dropped the cookie and slid out of the booth.

"I have to go."

Maggie stood, but didn't go after her. Carter yanked the door open and hurried into the cold and battering rain. She raced across the street, down the alley. She pounded up the stairs, taking them two at a time. She shouldered the door open and stepped inside. The door shut as she leaned against it. The apartment lay absolutely still.

In the silence she felt her thoughts returning. Before they could drown her in confusion, she moved to her room, discarded her layers of wet clothes and changed to the first dry thing she found. She unlocked her father's gun case and pulled out the first gun her eyes landed on.

She sank to the floor and disassembled it. There was a chill over the apartment but she didn't feel it. Her chaotic thoughts settled as she focused on something that she could control. Something she could understand. Something that made sense.

Over and over again, her fingers worked tirelessly, tearing her work apart only to rebuild it again.  The light shifted and melted from the sky. Still she worked on the gun, her fingers working by memory more than by sight.

Her father found her in the same spot hours later, her fingers bruised from pressing the metal too hard. A pain beyond grief came over him. He crouched beside her and laid one gentle hand on top of her's, stilling her frantic movements.

She didn't look at him. In the silence of the room, the rain continued to hit the window in a never ending patter.

"What am I not getting?" she said, her voice barely audible.

"Sarge..." her father said, with a weary sigh. 

She looked at him, her face tight with anger and hurt.

"What am I missing?!" she said. "What is wrong with me? Why did she leave...What did I do wrong?"

Carter's voice cracked and she dropped her head. Her father sank to the ground beside her.

"Look at me, Carter."

She didn't look at him. He rested a hand on her shoulder.

"Sarge, look at me."

Finally she turned.

"It wasn't your fault," he said. "Your mother left because she decided to leave. Her decision was based on her feelings, it had nothing to do with you, you hear me?"

He held her gaze in the dim light for a long moment, hoping his words got through.

"You can't take on this guilt. I don't know fully know why she left, but it had nothing to do to you."

"If I'm not the reason she left, then why?" she whispered. "Why did she leave me?" 

Her father pulled her close, wrapping a protective arm around her, as if he could shield her from the guilt he knew she felt. They stayed silent, neither knowing what to say next, trapped in emotions they hadn't felt for years.

**********************************************************************

Cappuccino Fudge Blitz! (Never had it but it sounds like magic!)

Oh dear me! The ship has a hole in it! Not going to lie slightly worried about the state of Darter right now! Are you worried? Tell me you have faith in them!

Raise a hand if your just a little mad at me that they fought right after they had a moment the chapter before!
(Haha didn't expect any less. Don't worry I'm mad at Carter)

That was kind of intense and slightly depressing chapter, how are you feeling?

Ideas on what's eating away at Carter?

Thoughts on why she doesn't talk to her father?

How was your week? (Go ahead and vent what you want!)

Convertible car or motorcycle?
(With a guy of course!)

Asiko ibeere! (Yoruba) This question is from the beautiful babyface8867: What is your greatest fear?

(Tell me what yours is, I'm curious!)

Answer: It's going to sound odd to you. Naturally, I have a lot of fears, drooling in public, walking into glass doors, the death of my loved ones, turning on the garbage disposal with my hand still in it, being stuck in a cubicle for life, staining my favorite shirt, you know the usual stuff. But my greatest fear...well, I would have to say living a boring life. It sounds simple but that's what it comes down to. That and seeing a really hot guy, waving, end up smacking myself in the face and running into a pole all at once.

Fear, Conquer, Live!