chapter six || "it's on fire"

We were sat in the head teacher's office, I was looking anywhere but the very stern man sat in front of me and Brad had a stupid smirk on his face even after being given a black eye from a very petite girl. I already know that tomorrow he would be telling everyone that he got in a fight with this huge, muscly man and that they should see the state of him and that he barely even touched him.

"So, Bradley tell me your side." Mr. McMaster instructs, staring at me dead in the eye with a glare. He loves Brad and hates me so I already see where this is going.

"You see sir, I was just walking past miss McGuiness here and I tried to have a conversation with her; asking her how she was and how her therapy session went and then she went all mad and punched me. Obviously I was raised right and would never hit a girl so I just took it like a man, she has problems so it's not her fault." He sweetly says, complete bullshit spewing from his mouth just like usual.

"That's a complete lie and you know it. You're lucky I don't walk over there and give you a matching one." I threaten, looking over at him to see that stupid smirk still plastered onto his face. Why was he even more good looking with a black eye?

The rest of the little completely biased chat was Brad making up more lies and even shedding a fake tear after discussing how sorry he was for me. I sat back and rolled my eyes every few seconds as he went on and on about how it was "probably his own fault for disturbing me in a time I needed to be alone".

He didn't even listen to my side, not that he would believe the truth anyways and he asked us to wait outside as he thought of a punishment for the both of us. Brad a punishment for the dictionary he threw at someone the other day and me for today. He got of scotch free today and I don't think that's fair. I hope next time that dictionary is aimed at him and it might just be me that's aiming it.

"So, whatcha doin'?" Brad asks from besides me.

"Thinking of ways to hurt you." I answer, not even needing to think about it too much because it was exactly what I was doing.

Maybe launching a spork at him with his ex-hookup's thong. Or maybe just decapitation, then he wont be able to annoy me anymore.

"Oh baby, if only that was true." He sighs, throwing his arm over the back of the chair I was sitting on and I just took a deep breath and counted to ten; I couldn't afford to get into anymore trouble. "What you doing later?" He questions.

"Putting a curse on you."

"Cool. Maybe after that me and you should do something, like an apology for the black eye and everything." He suggests and just as I was about to fire back something the office door opens and sir was once again in front of us both.

I was also still fully aware of Brad's arm around me and it was making my skin crawl.

"Lauren, I can't suspend you since your grades are the best in the school and we can't afford for them to drop and Bradley yours are below average."

"Thank god for that, I thought I was failing everything." He interrupts, wiping the fake sweat beads from his brow.

"That's exactly what you are doing."

"Oh." He slumps back in his chair and I stifle a laugh.

"Anyways, Lauren I want you to tutor him. You can make your own schedule but if he doesn't pass these finals both of you will fail." He finishes and my mouth opens to object, that isn't possible.

"That's hardly fair, sir-" I begin but he holds a raised index finger in the air to shush me.

"I don't want to hear it." He leaves us and the office door slams behind him making me jump slightly.

It would be impossible to work with Brad, he takes nothing seriously and would probably do everything to fail. I can't afford to fail but he can, he's rolling in money and probably already has his entire future already paid for but I don't. I need a scholarship to get into university, I can't afford it otherwise. Auditions for the Royal Academy of Music are next month and even if they like my playing if I fail finals they won't take me. These finals decide my entire future and nothing can fuck it up.

"Who's driving?"

Brad was currently sat in my car, dancing and singing to the songs on the radio as I drove to my house. I wanted to go to his but he pulled out every excuse under the sun that we couldn't go there.

"I don't understand why we can't go to your house."

"I already told you, it's on fire."

"Where are you going to go then?"

"It'll stop by the time I'm going home."

"And what about your stuff?"

"Only the house is on fire, everything else is fine."

My eyebrows furrow, glancing at him slightly before averting my eyes back to the road.

"What about your house? Your family?"

"Fireproof."

"So how- you know what never mind." I shake my head and he happily goes back to singing along to the radio, it was a song I didn't know but his voice went perfectly with it.

I didn't expect him to be able to sing so well, to even be so open with singing in front of me as well as being so happy literally an hour after I had punched him and given him a black eye.

He seems different when he isn't around a lot of people and I don't know why but that made me dislike him a lot more, wondering what was the real him and why he was so two faced. He had this front that he put up when he was around people, or maybe now he was putting a front up to try and get into my pants. Either way it was like he was living double lives and we all know it gets the best of people, I mean look at Hannah Montana.

I was going to find out who the real him was, whether it killed me.

"Go straight to my room and don't wander anywhere else." I tell him as we pull up at my driveway.

I look at him to see him inspecting my small but very cute house, it probably wasn't what he was expecting; the popular girls are always rich, right?

"Why?" He asks as we both exit the car and he carefully closes my door.

"Do you want another black eye?"

"Not particularly."

"Then do what I say."

I didn't want him to see my dad, not that I was embarrassed but I didn't want him to feel sorry for me. I don't want him to act differently around me because of my dad and that would effect me finding out who he really was. I wanted to know him for him, not what he wants people to see.