Chapter Twenty Three

When she came down the ladder as we were packing up small rucksacks with weapons and water, enough to last us for a couple of days just in case something goes wrong, I was gobsmacked. Her stock outfit of ripped jeans and her massive leather jacket had been replaced by a simple white blouse with a V-neck and pristine collar and jeans that were slightly less ripped. Both Josh and me almost dropped our bags. Her hair was pushed out of her face more than usual and she looked, well, she looked nothing like Puck.

“Woah.” Josh is the first to speak. “You look smart.” Puck looks embarrassed by his compliment and stands awkwardly.

“Are we ready to go then?” She directs the question at me, her gaze attracted by the bulging bag filled to its throat which I hold in my hand.

“Yep,” I say “I think we are.” I sling the bag over my shoulder and pull my arm through the strap, loosening the straps so it fits better. I think Artie wore this last which would explain the tightness. “Catch.” I chuck a bag over to Puck who picks it out of the air with ease and puts it on. 

“You guys be careful.” May says, placing a hand on Puck’s shoulder and pulling her into a hug. She does the same to me and then Josh. 

“We will. I promise.” And with that we grab the map, check we each have knives within easy reach, and heave the rusty door open. 

“Where’d you get that shirt?” I ask her as I attempt to navigate our way through the dark tunnels. Each turn looks the same as the last.

“It was Artie’s, she’d left it in one of the rucksacks that we managed to salvage from the wreck.”

“It looks nice.” I was honestly not really sure what else I could say. The bouncing light of the torch shows the walls of the tunnels and the faded posters which are plastered on some parts; I can’t make out the words which are on them. “I think,” I say as I stare keenly at the waves lines on the map which Tim drew to show where the tunnels lead, “if we go left here then after about a mile of tunnel we should come out near the station.” We’re planning on taking a train to furthest station and then hiking the rest of the way, it should only take us a few hours from there if all goes to plan and there’s absolutely no reason why it shouldn’t, we have everything planned. We are taking no risks this time. I quickly turn back to check Josh is still keeping up with us, he said his leg was okay but he might just be being brave. 

The walls of this part of the tunnels are tiled grey that probably used to be white and the ground beneath our feet is littered with rubbish and I think a few metres back I saw a dead rat. I hate rats. It’s more open here that it has been before and there’s a small ledge that looks like it could’ve once been a platform, I think we’re in one of the old tube lines. Yeah, we definitely are because when I shine my torch’s now dim stream of light at the floor I can see the partially dismantled tracks and on the walls there’s a name written but too many of the letters are covered in years of dirt that I can’t decipher what it says.

“Luca?” Josh calls out my name from a few metres behind me. He sounds in pain, his leg has probably flared up again – I knew we should’ve left him back with the others. “Luca?” He calls out again, more urgently this time and Puck and I walk over, careful not to trip of the broken metal. We cannot afford any more injuries. 

“Josh what’s wrong? Is it your leg?” He doesn’t reply and instead just gestures his head at something on the wall and as I follow the beam of his torch I see what he’s staring at and I see what’s below it.

“Let’s go. Just keep moving.”

“But-” he starts to speak but I firmly put my hand on his shoulder and steer him down the tunnel and before long we’re back in the darker and much more enclosed part.