"Here, this is a stele, your sister was given hers by your mother the night she was taken, but you weren't there. Jocelyn had Dot send this one, your one to the Institute. She must have known you'd end up with us," He explained, "It's for drawing and activating runes."

"Thank you," I took it and examined it closely. It looked similar to the thing Jace had used to activate his glamour rune; only mine was twisted where his was straight. There were rune markings all over the twisted silver and it had a clear tip. I looked back up to Alec and he nodded, sending me a brief smile. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jace give Alec a strange look, before raising his eyebrow at him, but I was too preoccupied with my new stele to pay much attention. Jace had already drawn the angelic power rune, and Alec had given me the ones for strength, speed, and agility when we were training.

Simon suddenly turned a sharp corner as Clary directed and we tore down a dark alley before Clary opened her door and jumped out. We all clambered out after her and followed her as she walked quickly towards another corner. She touched her necklace again and whispered, "Dot." She stood very still before shouting, "No! Dot!"

Clary broke into a run and we all followed suit, letting her take the lead. Jace was quick to keep up with her while Alec and Isabelle made sure that Simon and I were still safely with them. Clary and Jace headed in through the front entrance of Pandemonium. She came to a stop and the rest of us caught up, but nobody else was there.

"She was just trying to help us... now she's gone," Clary whispered sadly.

"Oh Clary, I'm so sorry," Simon put a hand on her shoulder.

"You don't understand, Dot's like my big sister," She added.

"You still have another real sister," I whispered bitterly to myself from the back of the group, but as usual, everyone was too focused on Clary to pay me any mind.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up, surprised. "I'm sorry," Alec offered. I nodded but remained silent. He then spoke to the rest of the group, "It's not safe here. We have to go back to the Institute, right now."

"So, what now? Valentine has my mom and Dot, and we're just gonna give up? What about my memories? They can't just be gone?" Clary folded her arms.

"Wait what happened to your memories?" I asked, stepping forward.

"Of course," Jace muttered. Then to me he said, "Clary's memory has been wiped so I'm assuming yours has too." He turned to Clary, "There's another option."

Alec looked at me with wide eyes before firmly saying, "Absolutely not."

At the same time, Isabelle said, "Don't even-"

But Jace butted back in. "I'm not afraid of the Silent Brothers."

"Who are the Silent Brothers?" Clary and I both asked at the same time.

"Shadowhunters with superior powers," Jace started.

"Who possess the ability to recover memories," Isabelle finished.

"A process that can also kill you, so there's that," Alec added.

"Your bedside manner is abysmal," I said playfully, looking at him and Simon agreed.

Alec ignored me, though I saw his mouth twitch, and faced Jace, "We've broken at least eighteen Clave rules and now you want to go to the City of Bones? There's no way. I won't allow it."

"This isn't our choice to make, this is their decision," Jace shot back, looking at Clary and then me. I saw Alec look at me and I could see in his eyes he was asking me not to do it.