⌘ Chapter 1

FIFTH YEAR

FIFTH YEAR. THE O.W.L.s year.

The Prefects' year.

In short: the most exciting and exhausting year in and outside Hogwarts. I had been preparing myself for it since I could think of. So many things to do and so little time. This year would decide my future and I only aimed for the best. Anything less was not imaginable.

After saying my goodbyes to my families, I joined Albus on the train. He still was distant, but got slightly used on my constant bugging, since I tried proving him that I genuinely wanted us to be friends again. So here I was, dragging my trunk after me, while trying to start a proper conversation with the most conservative of the Potters.

"Rose, you don't have to do this," he repeated for the millionth time.

"I want to. I told you I mean it."

"Stop trying to prove yourself. I got it. You're the caring cousin who wants to mend back what never existed."

"What? That's what you think? Albus, I'm really trying. Let me get through to you," I pleated, to which he shook his head and stopped before we could enter.

"You tried for long enough. We're on good terms, okay?"

"Are we?"

"Albus! Hello Rose, it's good to see you again," came from an arriving Scorpius, followed by his dad. I paused at their sight. Albus noticed and nodded at his best friend.

"I'll get us a compartment."

There had to be something I could do. If I let him leave like thiat once more, there was no way we would ever talk to each other again. If there was still something to save, it was now.

"I'm in," I called.

"With us?" The blonde asked and looked at me.

"Yes. With you two. Is there a problem?"

"Yes, there is," Albus uttered.

"Not at all," Scorpius gave back, louder. So I joined his opinion and got my trunk into a free cabin. Albus, who was clearly feeling betrayed by Scorpius, just sat on one of the free seats, as soon as he got his luggage into place. Scorpius joined to his opposite. Soon after that, the train started moving, forcing me to the seat next to Scorpius with a jolt.

Silence took over the place. A tense air filled the compartment, until we both caught our attention on Scorpius, who was searching through a bag he had been carrying along awkwardly.

"So," he started, "I brought some sweets with me. For me and Albus, but there's enough for us all."

Pause. No one else spoke up. Albus' eyes were burning themselves through mine, as I scowled back with the same fierceness.

"Rose, would you like some chocolate frogs?" he asked with a bright smile, "Now that you're here with us. Not that I mind - I'm glad you are. It's our first travel to Hogwarts together, so we should celebrate that."

I nodded and grabbed some from the bag. At least one of the two welcomed me. This was a start.

"Where are your friends?" Albus asked, not very keen over my presence.

I'll meet them once we arrive. They're fine without me," I retorted with a glare. He was starting to piss me off. Compared to Malfoy, who at least showed some manners, he really wanted to drive me to the edge. And he was almost succeeding.

"He's always like that on a trip," the blonde apologized. I sighed.

"He's not. He's just being a retard because he can't accept the fact that I actually care about him."

"Who's the retard here?" my oh-so chivalrous cousin snapped.

"You heard me."

"I told you to leave me alone, Rose!"

"So you can sulk and act like nobody of the family ever takes you for granted?"

"Because they don't!"

"No, you just don't let us because you're a selfish, thick-headed brick."

"I warn-"

With a loud bang on the side of the train and a thud, the Hogwarts Express stopped. I crushed against the window, together with the boys, before the wagon bounced back to the other side. Everything turned blurry. The last thing I remembered was how the lights around me turned off and dark smoke surrounded us all.