chapter two

CHAPTER

TWO

"no." I whisper to myself. I cant be chosen. I look over and see my parents crying . I stand up and walk over to the stage and a guard takes my arm and leads me to the back of the stage.

"wait no, I get to say goodbye." I say trying to get them to stop. "NO! BYE!" I yell to my parents. they take my family and take them behind me.

"ava, just remember, try and be a leader. That's how you live." My mother said crying. I look back as The guards lead them into one room and me into another with a whole bunch of crying kids. And the door locks behind me, and I hear screaming and five gunshots. I fell to my knees knowing they probably just killed my family. I stood up and walked over to alex and sat next to her, and start to rub her back confronting her.

"alright listen up!" yells a man with dark skin. "you will be split up into to groups of five. Both in different parts of what used to be the united states." He yells again holing up some tabloids. "these are your transmitters. When the sacrificing days are through we will teleport you back here with them. So don't lose them. Also, the rules, there will be no killing one another, and no stealing what is rightfully the other tribute."

"what fun is that." I boy yells standing in the corner. "I mean if we don't get to kill each other, then how are those low life's supposed to die?"

"what's your name son?" the man asks.

"jack." The boy says as the dark man walked toward him shooting him in hand.

"any more remarks are stupid questions like that one, you will be like him. Crawling on the ground in pain."

I look at alex who  is in shock that jack got shot in the hand.

"ah, cabe." He says to a man that just walked in. "ladies this Is going to be your leader, if you make it out alive, you will be sent to the intrepids camp."

"follow me." Cabe said turning on his heels. "these are the 'tubes'. They will take you to earth. If you do not return we will miss you in our community. But, if you do return, you will be teleported up here back in the room we were just in." he says pacing in front of us. "get in." he says opening up the tubes. My stomach turns as I start to walk in. something grabs my arm. I turn around to see zac.

"be safe." He says letting go. I nod. I walk into the tubes and just like that I'm on solid ground. I fall out of dizziness. We just fell like thirty million miles. Of course I'm dizzy.

I get up to see I'm in a group with: alex, taylor, joseph, me, and zac.

"ok we need a plan of surviving." Joseph said.

"no we need to find a place to sleep tonight, we need to get off the ground, the temperature gets down below freezing." taylor said pulling out her transmitter and looking at the hotspots. "there is a hotspot about a mile from here. If we head over there now we will make it before sundown."

"I like that plan." Alex said sarcastically. "I mean he does have a point. We will die if we stay here."

Without them noticing I start heading to a hotspot that was on my transmitter.

"what are you doin'?" said someone. I turn around and see zac standing there.

"what you've never seen a person walk before?" I said sarcastically as he sped up walking to me.

 "yes. But where are you going?"

"I'm just walking. You don't have to follow me." I said not even looking at him.

"but we should probably stay with the group." He said looking back at the kids fighting.

"zac, don't get your panties in a twist. If you don't want to go with me then you go back."

"no. I'll go tell them to come with us." He said running back to the group.

I saw a big tree and decided to scare them. So I climbed the tree just low enough to where they don't see me but when I jump I don't break my neck.

"come on guys she's this way." Zac said wlking just below me.

"where?" taylor said looking around.

"she was righ-" he started but I cut them off by jumping out and screaming bloody murder. The screamed also and me and zac couldn't stop laughing.

"it's not funny!" alex screamed.

"oh look the girl actually speaks." Taylor says leaning against a tree.

"come on guys just keep walking." I say and I can hear someone humming something. But we keep on walking.

++++++

Once we get to the hotspot we get in out backpacks and get out our supplies. We had enough stuff to make a tent and a tarp to sleep on since the ground was wet.

"me and zac will take first watch." I say as I get my throwing knives that were in my backpack. We walked up to this big tree and climbed up a little bit to where we could see everything. The tree was dead so it had no leaves.

"so, what's your name?" zac asked me fettling with his thumbs.

"it's weird, I know your name, but you don't know mine, zac." I say looking at him giving him a little smile.

"well then what is your name?" he says taking one of my knives and flips it around in his hands.

"can't tall you. You have to figure it out." I said taking my knife back.

"since then I shall call you.. .. ..foxy girl."

"fine I'll tell you my name. but only because you are terrible at making names." I said giving him a small smile. "ava."

"ava? Huh. That's a pretty name." he said leaning his head on the tree.

"you know, we were friends in school. I actually asked you out once or twice, you said you had a boyfriend. But the funny thing was I never saw you with a boy." He said looking at his hands.

"zac?" I said remembering him. I never noticed until now. Before I could take another breath he put his lips on mine. No.friekin.way.