chapter one

CHAPTER

ONE

I woke up and went down stairs knowing that today was the counting. Hundred years ago the humankind ruined our planet. Our ancestors strived to make it survivable, but animals that live on earth became viscous, and they killed a lot of people. Only a few people survived. And those people got away in a hover craft and escaped.

And we now sacrifice seven kids to go down to earth and fight for their lives. Those who survive in eight days will be rescued and taken to a camp of these people who grow stronger. And the reason why they try and grow stronger is because of the finale, where all the people in the camp go back down and try and survive again. These people are called the intrepids.

I went downstairs to my father reading on his tabloid reading the head lines for today. And my mother cooking breakfast. I have a brother, but he just pretends I'm invisible. He's supposedly popular in school. But I'm older, so he looks up to me sometimes. My mother took a plate and put some food on it. 'mmm. Eggs and bacon'. That's different, since we live in a poor part of town. Usually people here starve. The only way to get more food, is to enter a whole bunch of fake names in the choosing box.  we don't eat fancy food like this. So where did she get it.

"wow! Where did you get the bacon and biscuits?" my father said taking the words right out of my mouth.

"I put a lot of names in the box." She said placing a plate in front of my brother.

"are you afraid?" my brother ,john, asked me.

"I'm never afraid. And neither should you be." I told him to try and reassure him. But he just hugged me and started to cry.

"I love you ava." He said as I tried to fight tears. He has never told me that before.

"I love you to kiddo." I told him as our parents joined us in a group hug.

"ok. Well ava?" my mother said wiping away her tears. "its time. I will see you later. And remember, even if you do get picked, we will see you to say goodbye."

"I love you mom." I said hugging her.

"I love you too." She said nuzzling into my neck.

I hugged and kissed my father and brother and left. I looked over my shoulder and say them all crying as I walked out. My brother isn't old enough. And this is my last year. So yes I am afraid.

I ran down the street to my school cuase I was already late. When I got there I ran inside and took a seat in a big conference room.

"hi I'm Alex." The girl next to me says.

"ava." I said grabbing and shaking her hand.

After my teacher said our history and our future he reached in a bowl and took out a handful of tiny pieces of paper and only picked fifteen of those pieces of paper.

"joseph beckett." He yelled and a boy about sixteen. Its probably his first year. I look over and see a crying family as the boy and the family get escorted out of the room.

"ian graysom."

"kate bollington."

"jess macarority."

All of these kids have really long last names.

"jack nelson.''

"zac wellington."

"taylor burnlings."

"Lindsey gemings."

"Alex tealson." He yells as I look over at alex. She has a worried look upon her face. Like she's ready to scream and cry. But she eventually smiles at me and gets up to walk over to the stage.

"ava lynings."