Chapter 8 - The Ghost

Start from the beginning

Denton followed the signage to passenger pickups and found the passenger transport vehicle he had requested waiting at the curb. As he approached, the door opened automatically, and he entered without hesitation. He sighed as he sat down in the back seat and reach for the complimentary bottle of water. The door closed behind him. He gave the transport AI the address of Jarell's apartment and leaned back. The vehicle pulled out from the curb and merged into traffic, leaving the hospital behind.

After the struggle to get out of the hospital, the soft seat of the PTV felt luxurious. Denton allowed himself to relax and gazed out at the city while the PTV made its way through traffic. The capital of this region of Proxima b, Balargia, had been built on an elevated mountain plateau. Many of the buildings throughout the city had an excellent view of either the south or the north side of the planet, some both. Some residents preferred to always have the Eternal Sun shining into their apartment, while others liked the solitude provided by a sky without any significant celestial bodies. Those that were exceptionally well off could afford units in the high rises that had a view of both.

Based on the address of Jarell's apartments building, Denton knew that he was heading to the north side of the city, closer to the mountains that rapidly gained elevation as they rose up beyond the city. It was curious to Denton that someone with Jarell's stature would live there. He certainly had the wealth to live anywhere he wanted, and Denton had expected to find his apartment in one of the skyscrapers or maybe even mountain villas, not in buildings typically reserved for families.

After another fifteen minutes of weaving in and out of traffic, the transporter pulled up to the curb at his destination and opened its door. Denton grimaced as he stepped out of the vehicle and carefully stretched and yawned. He had been out cold for twelve hours, the Captain had said, yet he felt like he hadn't slept in days. He wondered if he would regret not staying in the hospital by the end of the day.

He stepped away from his transport, which promptly pulled away from the curb and disappeared into traffic. In front of him, a twenty-story apartment building rose up towards the clouds. Covered in glass panels from top to bottom, it looked similar to the office buildings in the business district. Uniformity, they called it. Keep the city looking good everywhere. At least, that's what they said, the politicians. A small area of trees and grass had been planted in front of the main entrance, complete with a small water fountain, park benches, and a few trees. Several children were running around the trees while their parents were otherwise occupied on the park benches.

Denton sighed as he watched the kids play tag. He could vaguely remember doing the same thing in front of a building much like this. His mother and aunt would chat about what he always thought was nonsense for hours while he played with his siblings. Most of the time, they had played in the courtyard park behind the building, sheltered from traffic and prying eyes. Denton had always been drawn to the more dynamic street-side park. It was never the same and full of activity. People walked by all the time and now and then he had even witnessed a police chase or two.

Denton's trip down memory lane was interrupted by a buzzing in his ear. It was Tanner. Denton sighed. He had intentionally avoided calling him immediately after he left the hospital. He felt a little guilty for leaving Tanner hanging, but he just had to have a moment to himself.

"Staxx," he said as he answered the call.

"Where have you been?" Tanner responded a little too quickly, irritation obvious in his voice.

"Oh, and hello to you too."

"The Captain said you'd be calling when you left the hospital."

"I got tied up."

Denton heard Tanner sigh on the other end.

"So, where are we with the case?" Denton said to change to subject.