Chapter 13: Trials

The trip back to the living space was more fun than they expected. The trucks that came in with the CEO were luxurious, to say the least, armed with drinks, snacks, and even comfortable seating. The 5 officers sat in the back, closest to the exit of the transport, not really talking, just observing the surroundings pass by. Genevieve planted herself on Falken's lap, the gentle giant not really caring. Chase was fiddling with his sidearm, aiming it outside the transport, firing a few shots at regular intervals. Raisa was taking a nap, using Ryder and Chase as a pillows. Ryder raised an eyebrow at Chase, who shrugged in response.

"According to the options, these trackers will last longer than we'll be alive."

"And you want to snag one of these visors, come back here and see where we are?"

"Got it in one." Chase gave him a fist-bump. "I have a feeling this isn't going to be the only test."

"Damn right." A long sigh escaped Ryder's lips. Hopefully, an explanation was on the way.

"Alright everyone up," Alexander stood up and held onto the railing above their heads. "We're about 5 minutes out from the facility. Personnel will be there to collect and calibrate your gear, which will then be returned to you in a few days. Now, you all need to dive back in. Apparently there have been unfortunate developments."

They weren't given an option or an explanation of what happened. One of the engineers slipped Ryder a hard drive before they were all confined back to their rooms. A long sigh escaped his lips as he looked around the room. There was a new door across from the one leading to the hallway. What could possibly go wrong? He knocked at the same time a knock came from the other side. A few whispers came from the other side as he stepped back and grabbed a baseball bat. He was ready to swing as it opened, just stopping fast enough to deflect a broomstick. He didn't realize what was happening until he was already on the ground. The bristles of the broom rubbed against his neck and face.

"Stay on th... Shit. It's you.."

"Well hey, Raisa.."

The walls came down once more and three more doors were revealed. They opened, revealing Chase, Falken, and Genevieve. Raisa helped Ryder up then walked over to the other three who congregated to the center of the area. Ryder looked at the four of them, then towards one of the cameras. He nodded to Chase who then started fiddling with a small tablet. Soon the cameras were disabled.

"Now that that's over with," Ryder plopped himself down on the floor, the others taking their seats. "You figure out our location yet Chase?"

"Iceland."

"What?" Falken said after their quick moment of silence.

"Iceland. The Green place."

"They brought us that far away? How the hell...?" Raisa grunted and squinted his eyes

"Ah hell.. for now go back into the game. Figure that all out. This we can deal with later." Another sigh escaped his lips. "Don't...don't do anything stupid."

"See you all there!" Genevieve said with her normal cheery tone before disappearing back into her neon pink room.

__________

Kovac opened his eyes, chains rubbed against his wrists, ankles, and across his chest. A metal mask, one that wasn't his, covered his gagged mouth as he started to look around. His eyes flashed left and right, all over the area. Across from him was Alistair, in the same state yet calmer about the situation. When she realized he was awake, her purple eyes fixed themselves on his own golden ones. A nod was exchanged as they were both slowly engulfed in their combined flames. The chains slowly burned away, save for his metal mask. They both dropped to the floor, watching each other carefully. She walked up to him, placing her hand on the metal mask and slowly burn parts of it away. Now paying attention, neither of them had any of their armour or regalia on them. Both had rough cloth wraps and a mark on their neck, pulsing a light orange and white. He attempted to cast <Immolation> and <Saturation> on one of the chains. Alistair grabbed a metal pole and tossed Kovac one half the length.