Chapter 11: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

The portal shrieked and the dark aura spread along the ground. The grin had left Alistair's face and was now shrouded in sheer determination and coldness. She was not taking any chances. Three Zilants emerged from the floating portals, joining the two earth elementals in their slow approach. Both Ira and Maxima started howling and barking in excitement. Kovac couldn't help but grin and grip his weapon. The glowing spear reeked of ash and a gentle vibration could be seen and heard as he continued his charge towards the main portal. A storm brewed over the city, purple and red streaking through the air, striking near the two combatants. Alistair's laughter began to fill the air once more as the final beast revealed itself. It was a creature of shadow and flame, a skull with horns similar to Ira's followed a giant muscled arm. Its wings unfurled as the portal closed, and it was about to let out a roar but was interrupted by blue flash and an explosion on its shoulder. A name appeared above it, fading in as he approached.

"Balrog!" Kovac growled out continuing his charge. "Well done! Lycara!"

"As you wish."

"There will be nothing left." Ira growled and roared launching himself towards one of the Zilants. Maxima weaved between the legs of an elemental, blasting it from behind with another blue bolt.

Kovac's right hand gripped the spear as he swung it around to deflect the blade that the Balrog wielded. He winced as the blow almost completely halted his momentum, causing him to slide beside it. Using one of his daggers, he launched himself upwards onto its back. The Balrog roared, moving recklessly to try and shake him off, even trying to grab him and throw him. Nyx caught a glance at its health bar before he was thrown to the side. The Lycara and the Zilants were grounded, and the elementals turned to dust as the Balrog was bound by ethereal chains. Its roars of pain and defiance filled the air while it attempted to free itself, only to turn into ash.

"You? You are the successors of our name?"

"A pity, I had hope for the fireborn."

"They're both fireborn you idiot.." A quiet sigh resonated from the centre of the field. A familiar ethereal figure manifested along with six others. They all wore similar outfits, a sort of formal dress blended in with armour. The last one that spoke was in full Valerian armour, blood splattered with a MASSIVE blade on his back. What caught Nyx's eye was the short sword on his hip. It was the same blade that the King had on his hip.

"War Prince. Not you Kovac." Nagash shook his head and walked towards the ghostly figures. "Decades. You haven't shown yourself in decades."

"Yes," The ghastly figure shimmered away then reappeared behind the King, launching the dagger on his hip towards the other ghosts. "The kingdom has been reduced to two bastions, one being overrun by magic thirsty nutjobs, and the other, wasting away with an uncertain future. Even now, people are plotting against you Nagash, the more time you waste, the more time the strikes will be harder against you. Send out the legions reunite our lands and regain our pride as a nation."

A short while after the ghost started talking, a high-pitched noise began to intensify in Nyx's head. He fell to his knees and summarily blacked out, followed by the rest of the Summoned.
_____

His eyes burst open as sirens rang out and a red light pulsed in his room. The monitor on the desk only had three words on it. Secure, Eliminate, Capture. Loud crashing could be heard in the hallway as a new panel slid open on one of his walls. The compartment had some sort of leg guards, a helmet and a shotgun with a bandolier. Ryder let out a frustrated sigh as he looked at the monitor again. Reluctantly but hastily, he slipped the equipment on and loaded the shotgun. It was a standard pump-action shotgun with beanbag shells. He had 6 loaded, 8 shells on the stock and 16 on the bandolier. He slipped the helmet on and a HUD appeared almost instantly. On the lower left was a map of the compound, showing the location of his allies and any obstacles in his way. To the lower right was the information about his leg guards. He blinked, pumped the shotgun, then slowly opened the door. The hallway seemed clear. A handful of others exited their rooms, wearing similar equipment with the only difference being that two of them had PDWs. Ryder held his finger up to where his lips would be as he slowly stalked towards the meeting room where they were before. A few more allied blips showed up at the intersection ahead of them. Hesitation filled their minds as they met, weapons raised. A moment of silence passed before anyone said anything