Chapter 12: War Games

Raisa held up her fist causing everyone to freeze behind her. Her soft growl put everyone on edge as a patrol walked by.  She brought only two of her squad and sent the rest back to hold a fallback position. Genevieve was somewhere off to her left, possibly doing the same thing she was. They moved slowly and cautiously towards the facility. It was a long road of crouching and crawling for the two units.
__________
Ryder kept his finger on the trigger as he looked around the clearing. It was too perfect of a location to not be trapped or watched. He gestured for one of the technicians to do a scan of the area and lo and behold, they were surrounded by mines. It took some time before all the mines were defused. One of the technicians was just a little bit too happy to have land mines at his disposal, even if they were fake.

"He's a sapper. Explosives are his thing. Our other sapper is inside since he's basically a god with a computer. The rest of us are combat engineers. You need something built, you'll get it and more. At least that's what we're supposed to say." He looked down at the gauntlets he was wearing then at Ryder's legs. "Interesting.. the other man inside might want something to do with those."

"Mobility boosters, launches you up to 3 meters forward." Ryder stretched and boosted towards, and up a tree. He held onto a branch and pulled himself up, and looked around. Looking at the minimap, there were only a few pathways into the clearing itself, but only one was viable for large units. He pinched the locations where small squads could go through then jumped down. "Alright, let's get this place ready for a showdown. Mine locations are on the map. Let's put a few barricades along the main route in. Take over the cameras if you can and direct them to our blind spots. Connect them to my helmet, we only have a few hours for this, move!"
__________

Raisa stopped her unit at the outcropping above the radar facility. The slow, low hum and rumble of the massive rotating apparatus disrupted their communications. She saw Genevieve across the way near main entryway, watching silently from the bushes in case everything failed. Raisa raised her rifle and scoped in, looking for the sniper. As soon as she confirmed the rooftop was clear, the alarm rang out and a shot landed right beside her. She reflexively flinched and launched herself back into the bushes behind her.

"The radar is the only place that makes sense, slow rotation and a 360 view of the area around the facility." One of her squaddies said as she helped her up.

"Thank you, and fall back to the encampment. We've done what we came here to do. Genevieve." She started walking back, no longer caring about concealment.

"Yes yes, I saw his shots. We can come up with a sound strategy now. The front gate is electric and the machine guns are automated. The squads patrol the facility perimeter every 10 minutes." She spoke in the same tone as Raisa, the only evident emotion was frustration.

"Regroup and fall back. Falken, Chase, go ahead of us, the Captain probably has something in store for our adversaries."

"Roger."

"Aye."
_________

Alexander yawned as he rested his hand against the table, leaning against it as his eyes scanned each of the displays. They watched the movements of the units carefully, altering their patrol patterns in the forest, but keeping the facility patrols the same. The clearing cameras and mines were now offline which was problematic. The only vehicle they could send that way were the Jeeps, but the troops would be eliminated as soon as they exited the vehicles.

"What about the walkers?" Olympia spoke softly as her eyes were glued to the screens.

"What?"

"The walkers, the beetle carriers are ready, and their mounted guns could take them out itself."