Chapter 15

My eyes droop as the taxi speeds down the highway. It's currently 3pm and I shouldn't be tired but somehow I am. At the same time, my legs shake with eagerness. My stomach feels like there's a war going on inside.

As we pull up to Preston's driveway, anxiety washes over me. All the memories returned and were threatening to come out my mouth. The taxi man unloads my things and I pay him. As he drives away, my head fills with doubts. Well, I can't turn back now. What's the worse that can happen?

I heave my suitcases to the front door and I hesitate as I knock on the door. *knock- no answer *knock knock- still no answer. His car is parked here so he can't be out. This is technically still my home so I couldn't technically be charged for breaking and entering. I reach up and feel around in the dead hanging flower display for a key. My heart skips a beat when the rough metal crosses my fingertips.

I take a breath as I pop the key into the lock. As I unlock the door, a disgusting scent of alcohol washes over me. I look into the mess of a living room. Empty bottles of liquor littered the floor everywhere. I slowly walk into my old room that is right by the entrance and drop my bags. I look around to see my bed tousled but everything else untouched. Has he been in here?

I leave my bags here and exit the room. I walk up the stairs to the main floor which looked like an ocean of empty bottles. I pick up one half filled one and read the label. Absolut Vodka 70% Vol, I shrug and take a sip. I wince at the intensity.

I glance around to the kitchen and again, my heart skips a beat. An unconscious Preston lies face down on the table. I get a wrenching feeling in my gut, did I do this to him?

"Preston?" I say softly tapping his shoulder.

This much alcohol is dangerous.

"Preston wake up" I say desperately.

I shake him and he stirs a little. He turns his face and I notice cuts all over his face like he's been in a fight.

"Preston!" I yell.

"Wha-" Preston responds.

I immediately wrap my arms around him.

"Preston, it's me Taylor." I say softly.

Tears threaten to spill.

"Tay-lor" he says slowly then bursts out laughing "I knew a Taylor once!" He yells.

"Umm.. Yea" I say not knowing what else to say. "Let's get you cleaned up."

He doesn't respond and I walk to the kitchen to get a towel and some medical stuff to clean up his cuts. I come back and he's taking a swig of god knows what. I snatch the bottle out of his hand.

"Hay! Give that back!" He protests.

"Later." I lie.

I pull a chair up next to him and cup his cheek so he is looking at me. I study his face for a second, he's changed. He had heavy bags under his eyes and his eyes were bloodshot. He's gotten leaner and his face in thinner. There's a sad look in his eyes that makes me melt. I pick up the wet towel and start cleaning his cuts. Suddenly tears well up in my eyes. I did this too him.

"Why is the pretty girl crying?" He asks.

"Don't worry about it." I reply wiping away my tears. "I just miss someone."

His eyebrows furrow the same way they used to when he was thinking. I disinfect the cuts and he winces.

"I miss someone too." He slurs.

"Who?" I say quietly.

"I've known her for a long time, she's funny, beautiful, talented and beautiful. She makes me sad sometimes. I just want her with me, she makes me happy but also breaks my heart." He replies.

Another tear falls but this time Preston bring up his hand to wipe it away.

"She looks like you..."

I softly take his hand away because it only made me cry more. I walk into the washroom to contain myself and calm down. I came back and finished cleaning his cuts and lead him to his room. It wasn't as messy as the living room but it still was pretty bad.

"Go to sleep." I ordered.

"But I'm not tired." He complained.

"Yes you are, now sleep." I say.

He eventually obeys and lies down on his bed. He falls asleep right away. And he said he wasn't tired, then again, he's drop dead wasted.

The clock read 8pm as I walk into the living room and instinctively start cleaning up. I dump all the alcohol while taking a few swigs and throw all the bottles away. My head started to feel fuzzy but I still managed to wipe down all the places where alcohol was spilled and restored the rest of the house. It's the least I could do after everything I did to him. I tiptoed into Preston's room and cleaned up the mess there. Preston was completely out so I didn't have to worry about making noise.

1am, exausted both mentally and physically, I finally finished cleaning. I find one of Preston's clean shirts and throw it on. I don't bother to go to my room. The couch is closer so I lay down and immediately fall asleep.

I'd almost prefer him drunk as to his sober self in the morning. Has he forgiven me?

_______________________________________________

So what do you all think so far?;) hehe hate me for stopping the chapter there. I just realized how bad my first few chapters are. I'll fix them sometime... Vomment!

-anna